Sealing an exhaust Leak

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
I installed a new exhaust system, 2 1/2 " stock shape, stocktype canister mufflers, all in stainless... looks great. However I have a small exhaust leak on one of the mufflers at the fold on the muffler. Does anyone have experiance with any type of material or sealant that I can put on fold crease,, seal off the small leak and stick to stainless and good for high heat?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Randy Maurstad said:
I installed a new exhaust system, 2 1/2 " stock shape, stocktype canister mufflers, all in stainless... looks great. However I have a small exhaust leak on one of the mufflers at the fold on the muffler. Does anyone have experiance with any type of material or sealant that I can put on fold crease,, seal off the small leak and stick to stainless and good for high heat?

I do not know of anything that would be a permanent fix in that hostile environment. New mufflers should not leak, can you return it? I think you will have trouble with that muffler as long as it is on the car.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Weld

Weld the seam if it is not where it will be easily seen. depending on the crimp and size of the leak, you may be able to squeeze the crimp to complete the sealing. A small amount of hi-temp silicone pushed into the crimp with your finger before you try to squeeze the crimp may help as well. Good luck!