seat belts/child seats 65 impala

rod61727

I have a 65 impala ss. I have factory lap type seat belts on the buckets, (which I don't think were required in 65, but were an option.) I also have grandkids (age4,5,6) who would like to ride in the car. Obviously, there's no provision for child seats in the back. I would like to hear from anyone who has a solution to this issue. I think there must be a simple way to install some kind if rings or brackets between the seat cushion and back cushion to tether the child seat, but probably lots of different ways to try to do it. I'm in Illinois, and I know adults 16 and up don't need belts in the back as long as the driver is over 18, but can't find any exceptions for pre 66 vehicles that apply to little people. Any help is appreciated.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Have you crawled under the car to see if there are anchors already installed in the floor pan? I'm not familiar with the '65 cars, but they may be present but just not populated with belts.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Kids are precious,
I have put three lap belts in the back of all of my cars
And where i can put lap/diagonals in the rear outer seating positions
Better safe than sorry

Steve

rod61727

hey steve...thanks for the reply. how did you anchor the belts in the impalas? your 60 and 61 should be very similar to my 65.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Over here you can get what they call doubler plates which have to be 400mm2 in area so around 3"x2" and one has a captive nut welded to it. The one without goes inside the car and the other on the out side (under floor pan) they are pop riveted together (only to hold them in place) when you put the seat belt bolt through the hole in the inside one,through the floor and screw it into the one under the floor pan they clamp up tight. With the parcell tray I have always just put a plate 10mm wide from the front of the tray to the back and tack welded it to the underside of the parcel tray and drilled a hole with a captive nut welded to the underside of the plate. This holds the retractor or just the static belt top mount.
On my 61 I am going to get some late model belts and have a slot In the tray that the belt comes through so the retractor is mounted to the inner wheel well in the trunk.

Steve