Seat cover help

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Its hard to get a good picture that shows its true location on the cover. But the seatbelt is straight in line with the mounting location on the trans tunnel. So yea to come through the slit in the seat cover, it would have to angle quite a bit. Doesn't seem right to me but maybe it is?
Jason, I took another picture just for you.:pokeThis is how the belt runs through the seat. My belts are attached to the supplied belt mounts. You should be able to feel the belt slot under the the seat cover. IMG_0508.JPG

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its hard to get a good picture that shows its true location on the cover. But the seatbelt is straight in line with the mounting location on the trans tunnel. So yea to come through the slit in the seat cover, it would have to angle quite a bit. Doesn't seem right to me but maybe it is?
Jason,
Here are some pics I posted for Leo a while back of my 1964 Catalina with original interior and factory seat belts. It shows the cover as well as the location of the slit in the seat. Hope this helps.

Catalina Seat Belts 1.jpg Catalina Seat Belts 2.jpg

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just wanted to post an update to this.

There were some issues regarding my seat covers which I posted photos of here. Cars suspected there could be issues from poor installation. Cars wanted the covers back to examine so I had the problem covers removed at a second upholsterer's shop. They examined the covers and made me a new set of front seat backs (the ones with the issues). They were redone at no charge regardless of who was at fault. My second upholsterer finished installing them this week and I picked them up Sunday. They look amazing. MUCH better. Seams are nice and straight, covers fit well and welting (cord) looks like it should.

Thank you to Cars for working on making this right and many thanks to the second installer that did a fantastic job on the installation. John at Perfection Auto Trim in Milwaukee, Wis. I'm out a couple hundred extra dollars from the first installer but at least everything turned out great!

4v36up.jpg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Jason,
They look great, glad everything worked out. My contact at Cars said they would address your issue.

Did you get new covers for your seat back arms ? -the curved ones behind the seat belt in your picture.
I have a friend who needs a red set for his 62 Belair 2 door sedan.
Paul

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No I didn't get those. Those are my originals. They are still in pretty good shape. I wasn't aware they were reproducing those? Are they?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Seat's look great ,glad you got it taken care of. I could not believe they would not make it right .

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Out of curiosity Jason, did you have new foam installed? I'm seeing that you can buy form fitted foam or do it the factory way with the cotton material. Anyone else have an opinion on one over the other?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The rears are done with foam and cotton batting. The fronts are all new custom foam cut to fit, furniture webbing and new burlap. John at Perfection is really good. Very detailed. If you want, shoot me a pm and I can get you all his contact information. Good seat cover installers are hard to come by I can tell you that! I didn't think it would be such a difficult installation but it really is. Might be worth the drive to have him tackle yours especially since he has worked with a ton of Cars interiors and Legendary stuff.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Jason...was the problem with the first set of seat covers....first installer or a combination of both?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The first installer screwed up a lot according to Cars. Poor installation.

But overall this second set of seat backs seems to fit a lot better and my second installer even commented that everything lined up really nice and fit well.

Cars wanted the covers to fit right and wanted me to be happy so hats off to them for their extra effort!

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
As with everything else on this car i'll research and do my best to not screw anything up. I would have to believe the foam that Cars now sells would give the seat a better look over what i'm capable of with the cotton batting. On the flip side I would believe the cotton to provide more comfort.... Your seats do look great though! Cars did you right!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
As with everything else on this car i'll research and do my best to not screw anything up. I would have to believe the foam that Cars now sells would give the seat a better look over what i'm capable of with the cotton batting. On the flip side I would believe the cotton to provide more comfort.... Your seats do look great though! Cars did you right!

I believe the seat foam is the modern substitute....firmer cushion,higher density.....seat holds its shape better,and will probably last longer.....more definitive shape also...JMO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The foam is the best for looks and comfort. I wanted the front seat to be firm/dense. So I specially asked that he do that. The rear seat is a lot softer but only because the only person back there is my 3 year old in his car seat

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have just reupholstered my interior using the complete Cars kit for my 62 Impala SS also with very good results.
My upholster shop did comment that Cars did supply a very good kit. The only thing that they recommended me not to order from Cars, was the FOAM for the buckets. They recommended me to use the FOAM from "American Cushion Ind.". It was $310 for the 4 pieces for the front seats. It does help that I only live 10 miles from Cars and have had no problems with their parts.

Dave

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jason, thanks for posting your thread and following through with it. I'm glad that in spite of the hassles CARS stood by their product and made it right. When I started reading the posts here I just about chimed in with a few complaints I have with the CARS interior I installed in my '58 SDL. But the thing is, I never called them to address my complaints, like you did; so I don't think it's fair for me to beef if I didn't give them a shot at making it right. So, I learned a few things from you here;).