SEDAN PICS

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
zqdzm58slegvfu.jpg 1961%20Chevrolet%20SS%20Foldout-02.jpg 1962-chevrolet-artwork-1.jpg chevrolet-impala.jpg 53217583_pr.jpg 1961 SS factory dealer brochure cover
1962 Look magazine ad
1962 409 sedan in Australia back in '62

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That 4-door belongs to Norman Beechey. All cars had to be 4-doors and he ordered his with power windows!!! Said it would it easier to sell. It's dual fours. In 1964, he sold it and had Holman Moody build him a 64 Galaxie 2x4 427. Norman is a true legend.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The '61 four door hardtop in the first ad is a Super Sport. I've always heard the SS option was available for any Impala body style in 1961. Wonder how many were built that were not 2 door sport coupes? I'm pretty sure I can remember seeing a 2 door sedan SS that was supposedly genuine. There were convertibles also. Any more doors?

bobs409

Administrator
If I recall correctly, none were factory SS cars. Could be a dealer add on. I think Tommy shared this info once but I could be wrong, it has happened once. :D

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There is no way to know how many 1961's were made into an SS with the dealer package before ever being sold is there? I mean the 450 or so number is actual assembly line production (and therefore what I would consider a REAL SS) and then there were who knows how many that were converted at dealerships and sold as new SS's - am I right about that?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If I recall correctly, none were factory SS cars. Could be a dealer add on. I think Tommy shared this info once but I could be wrong, it has happened once. :D

Bob,
To my knowledge that info doesn't exist however the SS package was available on any body style except the station wagon so I guess there were probably some made.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
There is no way to know how many 1961's were made into an SS with the dealer package before ever being sold is there? I mean the 450 or so number is actual assembly line production (and therefore what I would consider a REAL SS) and then there were who knows how many that were converted at dealerships and sold as new SS's - am I right about that?

Well, there was never an official dealer package, by that I mean there was no part number or option ever listed and nothing that said what a "dealer package" consisted of, the dealers just installed whatever it took to sell a car. I for one had emblems installed on a Impala in 1961 but it certainly wasn't an SS

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That 4-door belongs to Norman Beechey. All cars had to be 4-doors and he ordered his with power windows!!! Said it would it easier to sell. It's dual fours. In 1964, he sold it and had Holman Moody build him a 64 Galaxie 2x4 427. Norman is a true legend.

Norm bought the car back and restored it a few years ago. Back in the day he knew of Dan Gurneys 61 409 that he raced at Silverstone England and asked Dan for advice in setting the 62 up to go circuit racing here in OZ.:cool:

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Theres a 1965 sedan for sale by me CHEAP (like $1500) clean runs and drives. Thought heavily about it....

A chevy dealer not far from me had the "OK" used cars sign up (an original one) until they were closed by gm a few years back.