Seized AFB carb

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You can try and heat it up and see if you can get some candle wax to melt into it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I do know that if you drop it in a bucket of carb solvent it might look a little better but that doesn't free things up.

Let us know how it comes out, I need to do the same...

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Depending how much time and patience you have you could throw it in a tub of atf and let it soak and slowly work everything loose. I had an old stromberg 97 for a flathead ford I got for $5 but was completely seized after 2 years i got it all apart and free. Maybe putting it in a mixture like wristpin said might work faster.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Depending how much time and patience you have you could throw it in a tub of atf and let it soak and slowly work everything loose. I had an old stromberg 97 for a flathead ford I got for $5 but was completely seized after 2 years i got it all apart and free. Maybe putting it in a mixture like wristpin said might work faster.
The atf/ace works very fast. Its cheap to make and the 2 quarts you make up last a long time.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have two old AFBs that I use for mock-up. Both have seized shafts. I have repeatedly heated and soaked the bases over the coarse of a couple weeks. Only one shaft of the four loosened slightly. Once the corrosion builds up in the throttle shaft holes in the base, it is very difficult to free the shafts up. Throw the carb base in your choice of penetrant and leave it. Check it once a week and keep soaking it may loosen up for you.