Sellers regret.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sadly these are the only pictures I have of my 49 Chevy fastback I have in my possession. This was in 1972. Car was called the Banana Peel. Body mods were 1955 Chevy fenders and grill, shaved sectioned hood, straight axle, Olds rear end with 5.88 gears. Engine was 389 Pontiac with Tri Power backed by a four speed. Ran 31" slicks on the street whenever I didn't get caught. As you would imagine the car was absolutely a killer on the street. It was an 1/8 mile monster. Highlight race was a 1967 L71 Corvette that I laid to waste in the 1/8th mile. Need I say the Vette won the 1/4. Sure wish I still had this one.IMG_0561.JPG

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I should tell "The rest of the story". I didn't actually sell the car outright. I traded the 49 and $1500.00 for a 1964 Corvette convertible, 327 four speed. Daytona Blue, white interior, thrush side pipes (installed by new owner) Cragar mags. Including a fiberglass hardtop that I never picked up, wonder what that's worth today? Later ran into a very large cherry tree. End of story and the Vette.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Ray:

I know that feeling (of regret) every time I sell something (pretty much ANYTHING)...

I once had the 1948 version of that Chevy Fleetline "Aerosedan", but it was dead stock 6 volt 6 cylinder three-on-the-tree :). Original paint, nice cheap driver ($900 about 25 years ago). Sold it for $1900 via Hemmings. I also had a 1951 2 door sedan (Styleline Deluxe), purchased in 1991 for $700. Sold that one as well... That '51 was the first time I met James, I brought it to his house and he got it running on 6 volts and turned it into a relaible driver :).

If I were ever to score a beater with "patina" I'd go for another one. Actually a different year, that is. I've looked at two different 1950-51 Belairs in the recent past ('51 being my birth year) but both were too far gone, and I wouldn't want to restore one at this point.

1950 Chevy coupe.jpg
Cheers!
TomK