Sending unit in new tank

Russ348

Well Known Member
Changed my gas tank, to much rust in the old one, and now the sending unit reads 1/2 tank when its full. Any ideas?

Russ

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Float?

Float is hanging up on something or the windings on the reostat have given up the fight. Pull it out and check it against the gauge. Does not have to be in the tank to work. wire it as if it were in the tank and move it by hand.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
You didn't mention if you had changed the sending unit too... Could be your old unit is rusty or you didn't get the ground wire attached properly. Improper ground is about 80% of the problems with sending units.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Russ348 said:
Changed my gas tank, to much rust in the old one, and now the sending unit reads 1/2 tank when its full. Any ideas?

Russ
You can afford a full tank of gas?:clap

boug58

Well Known Member
GM 0-30 sending unit

I your car is older than 1965, check the sending unit by using a ohm meter. Pull it out of the tank and hook up a ohm meter to it . Empty should be 0 ohm and Full should be:) 30 ohms. My be in the sending unit.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sometimes you can bend the float arm installing them.
or if you have it installed with a twist off to the side the float arm can hang on the side of the tank.

Forgive me but never had one out of our year cars so this is just general info.,,dq