She breathes again!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just got back from James' place. After hours of preparation and days of effort, the new 409 engine came to life tonight just before dark. Broke that badass cam in for 20 minutes and all went well. Wish I had a video so you could see and hear the break in. I did snap a few pics.

Here's what we've done so far:

Removed the previous large port heads and tried to fit up some seriously ported rebuild 690s. Plans were to use the lower end, including the solid lifter cam. Bad clearancing took over. Took the previous engine out once we figured out it would not be the basis of the build. The valves were bumping into the both the passenger-based cylinder bores and the pistons, not good. Snagged a standard bore truck block from the basement (it was a complete and assembled engine on a stand, but we just needed the block) and mocked up the highly ported and big valved 690s on stock con rods. We cleared the cylinder walls but were still knocking on the pistons. Marked those and took everything apart and had them fly cut. Mocked that up and things clearanced well. Had all the rotating assembly balanced after R&Ring the con rods.

Removed the 3.36 posi and stuck in a lead-welded up open rear end using 4.56 ring and pinion. Added the 4th link (James fabricated all the brackets). Changed out the torque converter to one more suitable. Added a line lock, bled the brakes, added a set of Hooisers, changed out the front wheels and tires, put adjustable shocks on the rear. Wired up the tach.

Things still needed to accomplish:

Put new tires on the trailer
Install the tach and rev limiter
Install front shocks
Install half inch spacers on dual quads (need longer studs)
Install fan shroud and possibly a new fan blade

Friday we're heading to Great Bend with both cars, one on a trailer the other I'll be driving. James will be doing the burnouts during Test-n-Tune :). Save us a place in the pits, we may still be finishing things up once we arrive. Plans are to depart about 10 or 11:00 Friday, arriving around 5:00 PM.

See you in Great Bend!

TomK
IMG_8701.JPG
IMG_8711.JPG

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't say I didn't warn you Tom. You are going to be hooked. I bet you get some air up under the driver's front tire when you leave the line. Sure wish I could see it.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With 4.56s, sticky tires and balls out launch I bet that thing does hang the driver's front. That engine has got to make some power. Gotta sound gnarly with that big cam. You running open headers?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great work Tom and James, very neat car.

Any guesses on the 1/4 mile time/speed?

Don

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Open headers we just cut 'em off with a sawZall :). It does sound ballzy, and I think I am getting the bug :) :) :).
It might be a somewhat crusty car, but now it has a new attitude. Can't wait to finish things up this morning, load up and head West!

Thanks to everyone for your support these past 20 days, couldn't have done it without you all (and James).

For those of you already in Great Bend, you're gonna meet the real deal, James Schrader :).

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm guessing low to mid- 12's at closer to 110. Sixty foot times around 1.75. Probably not the first couple passes, but I think the potential for it is there.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've been following this....Just awesome! Gotta be a great time!
Best of luck and great times!

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom,
Plenty of room here in the pits!

Ronnie & Berry are here with the tribute car to Brian, too. You guys could pair up!

Hurry up !
Naw, just kiddin'.
Be carefull, and have a safe trip!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I forgot to ask Ronnie if he was going to run that tunnel ram on the Tribute car? I know he was having some trouble getting it to seal properly awhile back.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
So Tom......how about an update for those of us who couldn't make it????

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We had a lot of issues to deal with while at the track. Got there late Friday, around 7:00 PM. By the time we unloaded and passed Tech, it was 8:30. Took one run as is and "shot ducks" all the way down the track (something like 16 seconds and 85 MPH). Had to be either ignition or carb. Then we remembered that we hadn't set the valves after the twenty minutes of breakin less than 24 hours prior :). Let her cool down, but didn't get to the valves in the dark end of the pits (as we arrived rather late). So we got in one run Friday night and didn't learn anything..

Saturday James went over everything once again, focusing on the ignition. Turns out we had one set of points in a dual point distributor, not a real issue but got us wondering. Slipped in a single point and a new set of points and didn't see any improvement. James spent the whole day with his head (scratching) under the hood, to no avail. As the sun set we realized we weren't even going to tech inspection. Brian Fugate offered a Unilite, but James preferred to attack the problem at hand without outside parts. Turns out I had purchased that complete MSD setup from Wally Bell, but James wanted to go old school ignition. Turns out it was likely the carbs.

Sunday we went through the same process for the carbs, but were at a disadvantage due to not having gaskets and stuff laying around. Carbs are twin 750 AFBs. Played with the secondaries and things seemed to improve a bit. Took a few short bursts down the long runway at the end of the pits, things seemed better. So we went through tech and then made two runs with some minor adjustments to the carbs in between. Times were even worse, the car farted all the way down the quarter mile :).

Next up was the Shootout, so we dialed in a 16 something and James went 15,77, still shooting those ducks.

So James put it on the trailer and we watched the rest of the Shootout and had a great time :) :) :).

Best, TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wished you had said something at the time, Tom. I had a full load of carb. parts, everything you could have possibly needed. Of course, I was on my back , spitting brake fluid, but I wished we could have gotten together about your carbs.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We had a lot of issues to deal with while at the track. Got there late Friday, around 7:00 PM. By the time we unloaded and passed Tech, it was 8:30. Took one run as is and "shot ducks" all the way down the track (something like 16 seconds and 85 MPH). Had to be either ignition or carb. Then we remembered that we hadn't set the valves after the twenty minutes of breakin less than 24 hours prior :). Let her cool down, but didn't get to the valves in the dark end of the pits (as we arrived rather late). So we got in one run Friday night and didn't learn anything..

Saturday James went over everything once again, focusing on the ignition. Turns out we had one set of points in a dual point distributor, not a real issue but got us wondering. Slipped in a single point and a new set of points and didn't see any improvement. James spent the whole day with his head (scratching) under the hood, to no avail. As the sun set we realized we weren't even going to tech inspection. Brian Fugate offered a Unilite, but James preferred to attack the problem at hand without outside parts. Turns out I had purchased that complete MSD setup from Wally Bell, but James wanted to go old school ignition. Turns out it was likely the carbs.

Sunday we went through the same process for the carbs, but were at a disadvantage due to not having gaskets and stuff laying around. Carbs are twin 750 AFBs. Played with the secondaries and things seemed to improve a bit. Took a few short bursts down the long runway at the end of the pits, things seemed better. So we went through tech and then made two runs with some minor adjustments to the carbs in between. Times were even worse, the car farted all the way down the quarter mile :).

Next up was the Shootout, so we dialed in a 16 something and James went 15,77, still shooting those ducks.

So James put it on the trailer and we watched the rest of the Shootout and had a great time :) :) :).

Best, TomK

Well, at least you had "duck" for dinner:crazy
I enjoyed your "thrashing" and you guys did great.:drunk

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Do you have a dwell meter Tom? Sounds a little like a points issue. I guess it could be lean? I'll give you advice till you beat me at the track :blah . Course I can't seem to get one running:rub.