She's Apart - Now the Questions ???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay I finished taking the motor apart today, now the questions ?

1. There was a LOT of slug in the pan. Kind of thick gungy looking oil !!! The motor has only run for a short period and I had a cracked head. Should I be worried about the slug or is it most likely a result of the head and water getting in ?

2. I'll try to explain the position of the rear cam bearing which was the question. As you look at the back of the motor there is a Mickey Mouse looking shape around the rear cam bearing with oil plugs in both his ears. The cam bearing is positioned so that there is one hole lined up with a hole at 6 o'clock, one lined up with the hole in Mickey's left ear at 10 o'clock, and the third doesn't appear to line up with anything at 3 o'clock. So the questioin is; "Is the bearing in wrong ?"

3. All the bearing surfaces on the cam appear to be in good shape. The front and rear cam bearings both have a dark burned looking area along the bottom half.

Appreciate everyones help with this... This is my first tear down this far and I'm sure I'll have MANY questions when it's time to but it back together.... :? :eek:

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Take the engine back

I guess that brings me to the question, at what point do I cut and run on this motor ? The builder has offered to take it back and refund my money but I don't know where I'd get another one right now ? So I've got to decide where to go from here. The builder is a nationally known shop and I believe qualified and knowledgeable on these motors. I know that sometimes stuff just happens, but where do I say; I don’t trust this motor ???

In my opinion I say take the engine back and get your money back :dunno This nationally known shop do not know what there doing with a 409 :doh They screwed up twice,you have a cracked head and the rear cam bearing was installed incorrectly,who knows what else you will find with this engine :doh This is my opinion and if it were my engine I would take it back.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In which state was this nationally known shop located??? I came in the middle of this and was curious. Bob

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Okay, so what is the correct position for the cam bearing ??? Just for my reference.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts, With the engine turned --- bottom side up---- stand in front of the engine and look at the rear cam bearing. The oil holes are at approximatly 4 0clock and 8 Oclock posistion. You should be able to look through the holes in the cam bearing into the holes in the block.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts, Have you tried to wipe the burned area of the bearings with a rag to see if it is just Moly-lube that pooled after you took cam out? If it wont wipe off, then something is very, very wrong.

Michael Bell

Nuts Had the same trouble with my '09 at first. It would oil only one head while the other was dry. I called the machine shop (very good one also) and he lives not too far from me, so he came by and looked it over. He had me start it, and after about 15-20 sec. had me shut it down. He said DAMN, I got that rear cam bearing clocked around in there. He had me pull the engine and set it on the ground. He came back several days later and pulled the cam and that rear retainer and stuck a wire into the 3 holes. The bottom on was open, the left one was open but the right one was solid. So he got out his tool and knocked out the bearing and replaced them. He paid attention to the position of the holes and placed the rear one in accordingly. I reassembled the motor and put it in and presto I had oil shooting out both sides then. I only have 100 or so miles on the motor and have had no trouble oiling. These are getting hard to find, If he repaire or better yet replaces the head and makes the bearings right, I'd consider keeping what you got. That must be your call alone. The machine shop man said it was a stupid but easy mistake on his part and he made it right and the motor is doing fine!!!!!! GOOD LUCK with this and I'll await the outcome Mike

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Something to think About

Michael,

Sounds like exactly the problem I have alright !!! Just too bad I'm 1000 miles from the shop !!! I believe he would be here in a heart beat if we were anywhere near. The other thing that's bothering me now is the look of the oil. It is a brownish muck, thick and grudy ???

Here are a couple of pictures which show the position of the bearing and where I believe it should be.

Attachments

• Oil #1.jpg
    Oil #1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 95
  • Oil #2.jpg
    Oil #2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 89

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think you are right. The hole at 10 oclock should have been down at 6 oclock. I think the gooey oil is from the water leaking in. Did you have antifreeze in it? That will make gooey oil and can pull bearing surfaces if run very long.

I bought a used 350 a year that had a leaking intake gasket at the rear. The engine was full of goo. I used about a case of "brake clean" and it cleaned up real good. This engine was high mileage, so I replaced the bearings, but the antifreeze had not yet hurt them.

I think with the cam bearing installed correctly and the water leak stopped and cleaned good, the engine should be OK. They are getting hard to find.
Ron

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Latest Update !!!

To All who are tracking !!!

After determining that the cam bearing was installed incorrectly. I contacted the shop and he is standing behind the motor 100%. He has sent me a head to replace the one that was cracked and is building me another short block to replace this one. What a stand-up guy !!! :clap In todays business world where "Customer" and "Service" don't fit in the same sentence this is one who stands behind his products and has worked hard throughout to make me statisfied.

Thanks to him and all of you for providing me with information to make an informed decision about how to proceed. :bow As I prepare to put the motor together and install, I'm sure I'll have many more questions.... THANKS Bill

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bill,thats great news,not all buiders stand behind there work,I know one member that got ripped off of poor workmanship and he had to pay out of his own pocket for the repairs :doh