Shifting gears

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
just a wee bit. Hi everyone. Presently snowing here. About 5" already, but it's early. Been thinking about this for a while and thought it might be a good time to post it. It's in re. to the stock market, which has had a tremendous run up as of late. Some say it reminds them of the '28-'29 market before the big crash. Oh boy. Just what I need to hear. I think this present bull market is the second longest in history. But, what goes up, has to come down. I've been dabbling in the stock market since 1986. I have a stock fund but also individual stocks which I prefer over the fund. They seem to do better. Overall, it's been very good to me. I've been in for the highs and lows. I don't panic sell and I stay diversified. I watch it daily; sometimes 2-3 times throughout the day I look at it. I've locked in some healthy profits and I'm not about to lose them. I'm ready to sell as soon as I think the market is getting shaky. I'm much older now and I don't have the time to take a hit and try to recover from it. I'm self taught for the most part. I use a discount broker when I do trades. Do my own research and very seldom listen to others because it seems I always lose. Admittedly, this market has me worried and I sometimes wonder if there is something clandestine driving it? I know they say the economy is very good and part of the reason for the uptick. It's definitely going to take a dip. I think a pretty good one at that. Certainly, no one knows when or how much. So, are any of my brethren involved in the stock market?? Are you watching it?? Any strategy if things start to go not so well?? I'm sometimes reminded of the old Wall Street adage: Bulls make money. Bears make money. Pigs get slaughtered. Thanks and watch your money closely, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You sound like a well educated man Carmine. It's the same as the housing Market and fake even though your making money today.

The housing market went from 2004-2008 and the stock market has been going strong for the past 4 years and when we hit the 25K something is going too happen just when?

When, well we're not the Lord so we just don't know. Your my age or a little older so get out when your GUT tells you it's time. While I've made a few dollars in the Market I've alway's liked my own destiny so I choosed real estate and have done well.

Now I'm just a retired guy not worrying about losses and gaines just enjoying life!!!!!!!!!

I also owned a HVAC business made that decision in military. What will I do when I get out and living in Florida it was HVAC/Refrigeration.

Stay warm and Happy Motoring in the Spring!!!!!

Ted

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't play the stock game ,but do have a nice 401 that I contributed to when I was still working. I heard of a guy in my area that bought a lot of stock back when Chrysler corporation was in trouble. After they recovering he was a wealthy man.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like to set a sell order before stocks start coming down. If the stock crashes too quickly, the order may fill at a lower price, but it still beats losing my shorts! It also lets me keep most of any gain I identify for that point. Granted, I've sold some sooner than I should have (on a temporary dip), but I'd rather keep what I have when it goes up because it can easily go further down.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
we use a financial advisor and and he charges less than 1% a year to administer our portfolio. we use a 60/40 split, stocks and bonds. We just did a adjustment to some overseas funds, European and Pacific Rim. the whole mess returned 14% last year.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the compliment Ted. I do have a graduate degree but certainly not in finances. I just try to be reasonable with what I do. Research. Think things out. No panic attacks. I have a plan, that can change and be flexible, where I keep my stocks for about 2 years. Depends on how they are doing. If there is a nice profit, I take it and run. If not doing the greatest, I hold on and hope to get to my breaking point then I will sell. I also like sell orders as mentioned. Have to admit that I took a bath on GM when they went belly up in 2008 I think. Had a bunch of it and it started a decline quite quickly from what I recall. Instead of bailing out and licking my wounds, I violated one of the rules. I tried buying even more on the decline to average my cost out. Wrong move. It kept declining and I lost it all. That is the only time I ever got bitten to that extent. Someone mentioned Chrysler. I have a friend who actually introduced me to the stock market in 1986 and she had bought a bunch of Chrysler at $4.00. I didn't want any. Thought they were going to go bankrupt. Surprise. In a years time it went to $25.00 and she sold. Handsome profit. This month marks my 2 year period, so I'm thinking about what to do. In the past 2 years, the stocks have returned 38.7%. Problem is, I don't find anything real attractive right now. A friend is buying into bitcoin and cybercurrency. I researched it and honestly don't understand it, so I stay away. Sounds like some type of Ponzi scheme to me. He thinks he is going to make enough to buy an island in the Pacific. Right. He is the same one I told to buy into Apple when it was trading at $101.00. I did. He didn't. Trading at about $176.00. BTW, as mentioned by a member, real estate can be a good investment. I just never wanted to be a landlord. Was it Will Rogers who said to buy land because they aren't making it any longer. Well, enough about finances. Hope everyone makes good investments and you're happy with your return. It stopped snowing here. About 6". Temp. is rising and it's starting to melt. Time to return to the garage and clean some parts, Carmine.