Shipping Bullcrap

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Went to mail this 6X10 bubble wrap today. Had a couple of aluminum scope rings in it and weighed probably 6-8 oz. Was easier to go to the UPS store. They said $16 plus. WTF. So I said that won't work and went down to USPS and mailed it for $3.90 I though at first the problem was mailing to Ohio, but I guess not.............:taunt

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
USPS first class is cheapest if under 16 oz HOWEVER, you will see the other $12 or so on your federal income tax. Someone has to pay for USPS losing money.

bobs409

Administrator
With what they charge, it's amazing they could be losing money. They raise the prices twice a year, EVERY YEAR too! When does it end???? Honestly, all shipping company's are a rip off. It's all so out of control just like our government.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
USPS first class is cheapest if under 16 oz HOWEVER, you will see the other $12 or so on your federal income tax. Someone has to pay for USPS losing money.

The USPS wouldn’t be losing money every year if Congress didn’t pass a law about 10 years ago that made the USPS have to prefund it’s retirement fund - billions. (Having to pay retirement benefits for employees not even hired or on the payroll). They would have made money if not for this hidden tax. Congress saw a way to get more money through the use of the USPS. If you can remember way back, the USPS used to raise rates a couple cents every three years. After a raise USPS made money first year, broke even year two and lost money year three. Then they’d raise rates and do it again. They did that for 20 years until Congress saw a cash cow to get their hands on more money. Little is ever heard about this. The USPS is the ONLY federal agency to have to do this. Just another instance of government overreach. Just remember the USPS delivers to every household and business every day. And how much do you pay for this service? I’ve never gotten a bill for this service my entire life. The USPS is a quasi government operation. Supposed to be self supporting. Would be if not interfeared with by Congress.

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've heard many stories from my sister. She's been in charge of several large post offices, the last one was St Charles, Mo. I believe she said she had 350 people under her. The union is very strong and I don't know what it would take to get fired. One gal threw a chair at her supervisor and wasn't fired. Another was passed out drunk in his LLV delivery vehicle, not fired. When the half white guy was elected president she had to call in help from powers above. The employees didn't think they had to work anymore. These are just the tip of the inneffecient iceburg.
The government can't run anything effeciently.

I think Fuzz had the answer above also. I think they are a stand alone program.

FS560

Well Known Member
USPS is at a disadvantage because of all the junk mail it handles at almost zero cost to the sender. How great would things be if advertisers had to pay first class for all of the bulk mail junk. I would support the elimination of all bulk mail discounts for any damn body.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
USPS is at a disadvantage because of all the junk mail it handles at almost zero cost to the sender. How great would things be if advertisers had to pay first class for all of the bulk mail junk. I would support the elimination of all bulk mail discounts for any damn body.

The fact of the matter is that if standard mail (what many refer to as junk mail) was eliminated, rates would increase. Yes, this rate is cheaper, but without standard mail, the USPS would have a tough time. The shear volume makes it viable compared to the low volume of first class mail. First class mail used to carry the majority of the USPS profits, but since the internet it has dropped tremendously. Parcel Post now is the area of profit. Besides it’s own parcels, UPS, Speedy and Fedex drop off millions of parcels to the Post Office daily for final delivery because it’s not profitable for them to travel “the last mile”. It is profitable for the USPS.

Dave - USPS rates are set by the Postal Rate Commission. A small group appointed by the President and serving a term in office of years. The USPS can only recommend what rates they would like, but the PCR ultimately sets them. It would be like five businessmen from downtown Vinton setting the prices for the gravel and sand you sell. Not letting you gouge the customer! (before retirement). This has proven to be a very bad system through the years because these people don’t have a vested interest in what they’re controlling and often defer to outside interests, making it somewhat political in my opinion. Like any corporation, the USPS is only as good as the top management and what they want done. Years ago the Postmaster General came from a family of Postal people and worked his way to the top in the USPS. He did a great job because he understood the operation through and through. You hear a lot about privatizing the Post Office, but that would drive costs out of sight.

Fuzz

MAGA

bobs409

Administrator
I don't fall for that BS about the USPS and stamp sales loss. They MORE than make up for it with all the internet sales that ship Priority mail! Stamps aren't even relevant anymore. They raise the rates twice a year like clockwork. (still manage to lose some of my stuff from time to time!)

We're getting screwed by all the shippers! Don't you just love insurance? We have to pay extra in case THEY don't do their jobs!!! I guarantee, they make profits from that too. All a scam!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
My Windows 7 computer crashed, the middle of February.:doh:drop Bought new parts, to try and save the Hard Drive. That never works. Lost all kinds of pictures, tax returns, jokes etc. Ordered a new HDD and Power Supply from Amazon. Hard Drive arrived OK. Had to wait 2 weeks for the Power Supply.:bang Received an e-mail, that it would be delivered Sunday, by the USPS. Unlocked the gate, in our driveway and waited till 5:00 o'clock. Went out there and closed the gate. Did not lock it. Left the chain hanging loose. Around 6:00 I heard the Mail truck, in front of our house.:clap I ran and put my jacket on, and went out there. NO PACKAGE.:thumbdown:wtfLooked in the mail box. Nope. Went around, to the other side of the house. Nope.:dunno Went back in the house, and read my e-mail. Package was delivered. Left in driveway by side porch. OH Yeah.:noWent outside and took a walk, to my neighbor's houses, to see if the a-hole left it at the wrong address. No Go.:dunno2I waited 2 days and told Amazon, I never received my package. No problem with them at all. They gave me a $ 53.99 Gift Card:clap Next Day I purchased the Power Supply at Best Buy $ 99.00 :scared2 Thanks USPS.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave....just looked real close at your avatar. Did Dickiemac make it for you??????
Your 2 passenger side tires are completely out of alignment!!!!!! You could have a terrible wreck and Dickiemac would be responsible!!!!!!!!!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jeff, I'm Not Dave.:doh:teehee I started getting Blue Screen Errors.:doh Who the Hell knows, what they mean.:dunno Turn it on one day and the screen got all scrambled. Shut it off. Called my friend. He has a HDD recovery machine. If the old HDD still works, it transfers data, to another good HDD. Didn't work, for me. I do, still have the HDD. When I installed it, I got a Boot drive Error and Boot Mgr. missing??? I know there are Professional Recovery Companies but, $$$$$.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are who I say you are when I am talking to you about something and using some other name. I thought you could re-install that Boot manager file and recover, however it sounds like you buddy knows what he is doing.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
OK, Tom. I went to YouTube, and listened to a couple Hodgy's, explain, how to reinstall the missing file's. It worked once and didn't work again. After about 7 hours, I got pissed and gave up.:dunno2 Someday, I may try the "put the HDD in the Freezer trick" That sounds kinda stupid to me.:dunno I did watch a guy, take one apart, and turn the record backwards, while he backed up the arm, to it's resting place. He was Lucky, he got one more chance, to get his Data off.:appl