shock color

tims409

hi,does anybody out there know the right color for the sprial shocks on a 1962 impala.I would appreciate any advise.thank you tims409:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
gray color

Gray Primer As Original 55-64 front. Don't know about the rear.

Attachments

• 521169.jpg
    521169.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 40

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Gray Primer As Original 55-64 front. Don't know about the rear.

Models,I could be wrong, but I have a set of NOS 55 shocks and a set of NOS front shocks on my 67 SS396 restoration, and the finish color was grey, but it was a gloss enamel. I've never been dinged on points, and I've been through some tough judging standards.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well then

I think they mean the color is the same as gray primer. Could just as well be gloss. Maybe?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
This will probably open a can of worms........could be wrong but I believe the original equipment shocks were black. The replacement shocks that you purchased from the Chevrolet dealer were gray.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My choice

I looked into it a bit and went with Black. The shocks I used were replacements, but I wanted to get the color closer to OEM.

But then mine's a driver, not a show car.

Good luck!

TomK

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The original shocks on my 64 Conv. ( front and rear ) were black. The rear shocks on my 64 Hardtop were black also. The fronts were changed before I got the car, but I assume they were also black. Skip:)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
63 Impala s/s w/409 were black I just looked at one that has "lived here" since new and is a 32,000 "survivor" . Owner hasn't changed anything:eek: :eek: Tom Nolen is correct again:bow
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
Looks like I'm going to have to add some info to the resto paint charts. :brow

It seems you guys agree that original shocks are the gloss black for 1961-64's but how about 58-60 and 65? If anyone knows on them, I'd love to add that info as well.

Bob

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Most of the info I have is on Corvettes, but many things carry over to the passenger line since GM ordered common parts from various suppliers for all lines. I believe the changeover point for the Corvette was 63 when they went to black. It may coincide with the change from spiral shocks to plain style. Anybody with a 62 Vette (like
Tommy) with original shocks care to check?
I'll check my 58 Biscayne if there is any color left on them.:scratch

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I checked my cars and found all the shocks to be too rusty to reveal any left over paint. I do have the original Pliacell shocks from my 66 Corvette with F-41 suspension and they are definitely gray with some blackout overspray. I also have some original shocks fom a 65 Corvair and they are gray. I know the 55-57 chevy spirals were gray and the NCRS says that 63 Corvette shocks were black.:scratch
It seems the most likely explanation might be that GM specs, as they often were written, may have given the supllier an option of providing the shocks in black or gray or may have not specified any particular color, just that they have an appropriate coating . :dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A friend of mine here used to work as a parts counter man and later parts manager at the local dealership here "in the day" He has acculmulated quite a few parts books, technical service bulletins, parts supplemental bulletins and he remembers that the replacement dealer delco shocks were grey. I hope this muddies up things:roll :roll
Robert