Silly Question Regarding Bubble Tops

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know the 61 and some 62's are Bubble Tops, but are 59, and 60 Sport coupes also Bubble Tops? Seems like they have the same roof profile.
:wacko

62BillT

Well Known Member
Some '59 and '60 owners like using the term "Bubble Top".

And they are close, but not quite.

I've even heard some call them an "SS".

Stretching the label "Sport Coupe" a bit.

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I see it often when people discuss their 59-60 for whatever reason. Thanks for the information. I guess the "Jet Age" wings are enough. :D:good

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Pontiac made 'em as well, across all body styles (Catalina, Ventura and Bonnevilles) but I think just for 1961? Oldsmobile did as well, not sure about the Buicks, but probably likely. In 1962 GM went to a more "formal" roofline with a crease near the rear for their Sport Coupes.

There were a ton of 1961 Impala Sport Coupes ("bubbletops") made, not as many 1961 Belair bubbletops and a few of those special roof tops adorned the Belairs of 1962. I like 'em all :) :) :).

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
...are 59, and 60 Sport coupes also Bubble Tops? Seems like they have the same roof profile.

No. Rooflines are similar, but not the same.

And as Don mentions, if one really wanted to get pedantic only the '62 Bel Air sport coupe would be referred to as a "bubbletop". I suppose the same would apply to the BOP trim-levels that also used the carry-over roof in '62.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
DDFB5D7E-3B92-4BB6-999F-CD0CD797024C.jpegB29AA149-AA13-4465-BA20-F997392BDB6D.jpeg
It does appear to be more of a bubble at the top of the roof line..... the other major difference that I see is, the body comes up to meet the bottom of the rear glass on the 62 I guess I’ve always considered 59 through 62’s bubble tops because of the C pillar but that’s probably not the truth..... it probably is 61 and 62 are different....... you say tomato I say tomato ......!!!!......And I don’t think the two pictures are a fair representation .....I think that they would look much similar if the back glass of the 59 was whited out as a result of lightingF81EA5DE-11C3-4780-9294-E14B4714521F.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
All those "Sport Coupes" look awesome :) :) :).

I was never a big fan of the 1959 and 1960 models, but then I never owned one. Remember at one time those 58s were ugly -- not any more!

My fav has to be the 1961 Sport Coupe models as they had some throwback to the Big Fins of 59 and 60, but the roof line just makes the car. OK, the 1962 Belair is a pretty special car all by itself, and has become legendary over the years. I'm still enthralled by them all, those were the days of styling and design, weren't they?

Cheers! TomK