Size of steel wheels run on Z11 front and back?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I want to say they ran 15x5's on front and 15x7's on the back. I think some of the Corvettes of the era had the option for the 15x5's if I remember right. I'm looking for some skinny front runners but I wanted to go with 15x4.

427John

Well Known Member
I want to say they ran 15x5's on front and 15x7's on the back. I think some of the Corvettes of the era had the option for the 15x5's if I remember right. I'm looking for some skinny front runners but I wanted to go with 15x4.
Your in the unfortunate timeframe of when they were going back to 15" wheels they were starting to get wider too,the older skinny 15" wheels if you can find them in the bolt pattern you need also typically had the older style hubcap retention,another problem with them is if your running a disc brake setup the older wheels usually don't have the clearance for them.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Your in the unfortunate timeframe of when they were going back to 15" wheels they were starting to get wider too,the older skinny 15" wheels if you can find them in the bolt pattern you need also typically had the older style hubcap retention,another problem with them is if your running a disc brake setup the older wheels usually don't have the clearance for them.
I have found that Speedway has a 15x5 steel wheel that has the correct dog dish retention nubs for my 64 Belair dog dishes. They are large enough to clear my disk brakes and probably the best bet for $105 a piece. I had hopped to go with 15x4 but no one makes such a plain steel rim for my dog dishes. Then there is the thing about all of the weight I need to turn and stop with my wagon so 15x5 is probably safer too.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...ybACqE8lV6MgR6_X5SD126AfaWHF620waArjxEALw_wcB

427John

Well Known Member
I thought you were looking for a vintage application to source them from,of course you can have any size or configuration you want made,especially if you have a wheel shop in your area,I had some 15x9.5 made several years back using factory centers,they weren't cheap for factory looking steel wheels but they weren't terribly expensive either best thing was they were exactly what I wanted.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was attempting to find some factory 15" skinny rims but I think the only application I could find was Corvettes from that era. They don't seem to have ones that will fit my dog dishes on them so the next best thing is probably some rims from Speedway. They seem to have the best deal on plain steel wheels because the intent is to paint the rims factory color Almond Fawn.

427John

Well Known Member
That look is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned.I used to have a 70 Torino (the one I had the wheels made for use with slicks)with dog dish caps,my brother always laughed and said you know they won't let those on the track,I would always reply that's ok I'll just pop em off.He stopped laughing when he found out the car was faster than his old camaro though.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That look is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned.I used to have a 70 Torino (the one I had the wheels made for use with slicks)with dog dish caps,my brother always laughed and said you know they won't let those on the track,I would always reply that's ok I'll just pop em off.He stopped laughing when he found out the car was faster than his old camaro though.
I'd never run mine on the track but I see cars at every drag race with them on. Not sure why they would want to.

427John

Well Known Member
Tech usually wouldn't let you I just popped mine off,but they might let you if you had them bolted on or some kind of positive retention.While I didn't have any trouble drilling the rims for bead lock screws I couldn't bring myself to do it to the caps.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tech usually wouldn't let you I just popped mine off,but they might let you if you had them bolted on or some kind of positive retention.While I didn't have any trouble drilling the rims for bead lock screws I couldn't bring myself to do it to the caps.
I was surprised, the last two times I was at the Meltdown drags, a couple cars ran all weekend with dog dishes and no screws that I could find upon closer inspection. I'd love to set it and forget it but just can't afford to destroy nice dog dishes. I'd puke if one of these bounced off the track at 100 mph. I have an entire section of my garage wall with my 64' chevy dog dishes. hard to find in decent shape and people want a small fortune for them.

427John

Well Known Member
I was surprised, the last two times I was at the Meltdown drags, a couple cars ran all weekend with dog dishes and no screws that I could find upon closer inspection. I'd love to set it and forget it but just can't afford to destroy nice dog dishes. I'd puke if one of these bounced off the track at 100 mph. I have an entire section of my garage wall with my 64' chevy dog dishes. hard to find in decent shape and people want a small fortune for them.
That's why you pop them off before you make a run.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Not hijack this thread, but I feel the same as 427John, I would like to find a fake set of 61 SS complete wheel covers. I keep the real ones in the truck, Im afraid to lose one driving around:yikes