Sleeving a low compression engine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is it true that when you sleeve an engine that you would eliminate the valve relief in a low compression engine? Then would it make sense to sleeve just one cylinder, boosting the compression ratio? Would you then need to machine that valve relief back into the block to equalize the compression ratio?

Keep in mind that I get these kinds of calls and questions posed to me and I'd like someone to be able to search on our site and find a quick answer or in the least a direction to head. The better our information is the better this sight will be. Good information, not more cubic inches is real power! More cubes is frosting on the cake.
Thanks guys!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes you would need to put the notch back ,if I'm picturing it right,on anything but a "bone stock" build.Exhaust valve clearance.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
But for $200/cylinder, why not leave the low compression in and put $1600 towards something low compression friendly such as a blower?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is perfect. Good to see what it's like even when it isn't done right. Thanks so much guys. We need to always remember this site is a helpful resource of knowledge for every level of motor head.:read