Slow build 1962

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well today was a good day I was finally able to start the motor up. Had a couple issues first was my used msd box is dead so got my basic 6a off the shelf and got it to start. Got timing set at 16 initial and 32 total. Ran pretty good but would start very hard like advanced timing. Thought maybe starter wasn’t grounded good so pulled it down and cleaned the paint from the block there and no change. Verified tdc and the timing marks are right on. Even got a different timing light to verify mine wasn’t off and they both read pretty much the same. Mr Don Jacks had the winning answer to the problem it was the pickup wires from the distributor to the box were backwards. He says the pickups in the msd distributors are polarity sensitive and recommended to switch the wires and it started better but was at 60 degrees advance now so reset the timing and it starts like it should now and real responsive now! Thanks Don, MRHP, and Lahotrods for the ideas today! No I don’t know how to upload a video of it running and it would just be a cell phone video.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Depends on what part of the project Dave. I have had the car for 16 years and it was in pieces when I got it so I got it painted and put it back together and ran the 283 and power glide for a while. I have had a 350 with th400 for a bit in it then a changed to a 454 with 4l60e until it spun a rod bearing in 2016 then decided to leave it down until I did a w engine for it and even that has changed a couple times from stroker 409 to blown 380 that I now have in it. One day when I get old I will probably do a 409/409 build with it if I can find a 068 block and spend time finding nice original and nos parts it will become more of a restoration but for now it will be a fun toy for me!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well got my fittings today and took her down off the stands and got the first test drive on it. It didn’t go as planned went out and drove it easy and all was well. Went on the way back and started to lean on it hard and it stopped pulling at about 5000 rpms and would fall on its face then die. Got it started and back home and found the fuel pressure way down so readjusted and was good then it dropped off again. Found the cheap 30 amp breaker in my pump wiring kit was only working intermittently so I wired in a 30 amp fuse instead and got it going again. Noticed it wasn’t running quite right and it would pop and throttle response seemed off and it would kinda hang there a little bit. Used some carb clean and went along the intake and found my weld didn’t hold along the top plate and the engine would pick up when I gave her a shot along that weld. So it turned out to be a really disappointing night and now to wait till the next tax time and get Carl’s intake.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
True story Brian money can fix anything when you have it! Gotta make more then it will be up and running again. I don’t think anything was hurt on the motor at all I don’t have any blow by or anything so I think she is still in good shape.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well pulled the blower off and found this. I’m contemplating putting a new gasket in and see how it runs. I am also bringing Rudy the blower today being it is leaking oil and says he thinks he can get it fixed up this weekend.

Attachments

• 91E9265B-A267-481C-A4A9-AFDDD0A9A653.jpeg
    91E9265B-A267-481C-A4A9-AFDDD0A9A653.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 43