Been playing with the tune and putting miles on the 62 got around 500 on it now. The reaction the car gets when I go anywhere is awesome people just stare at it going by. Went to lunch with a couple friends on Friday and sat where we could see the car and people would just walk by and check it out some took pictures too.
The engine pulls good but was noticing that in a pull that after a few seconds it would pick up even more. Was talking with another member on here and he was having some of the same issue and decided it could be a delay in the secondary air doors not coming open quick enough. We talked about it and I removed mine and tried to do some research on where people remove weight from and could really get a good answer. So what I decided was to drill them where it seemed logical in my mind and tap the holes so I can install set screws to put the weight back in if needed to help tune them. I drilled 4 holes and tapped for 1/4 28 set screws. I rigged up a spare carb using my shop vac to try to see the difference and after drilling and tapping I could feel and see the difference on my home made carburetor dyno so I started out with no set screws and what a difference. I started off slowly rolling into the throttle to make sure there isn’t a bog unit I got to the point of just stabbing the throttle and it never bogged or had that extra feeling after a few seconds so I’m gonna try it like this for now. The one time I stabbed the throttle it broke loose in 3rd gear was kinda a unsettling feeling! Here are a couple pics of what I did to my air doors.
Decided to add some safety to the car today. I have had this new set of belts for a while and now will finally install them. The old ones are what we’re in the car when I got it and from research on this site they would not have been the correct factory installed belts. I’m curious if they would have been dealer installed or a would a previous owner have bought and installed them? They say Allstate on them on the front sides and manufactured for Sears Roebuck and co NO 6431 on the back side of the buckle.
Haven’t updated in a bit. Car runs and drives good still except 3rd gear is still being a pain so trans will be pulled to fix it. Next year planning on rear suspension work to get the power to the ground and make it more fun. Not sure how many more times it will come out yet this year. I’m hoping for a couple more drives yet the kids love riding in it. If I can’t find the daughter in the house I can find her in the garage checking the car over wanting to go for a drive. At least I can say I’m raising them right!
The air door mods seem to be working good. I originally left all 4 holes empty but went back in and installed set screws into 2 holes to add weight back in. I would get a hesitation and sneeze through the blower a few times so think they were coming open too fast before it could draw the fuel through the secondaries. Tom I’m using a super t10 and it doesn’t like to downshift into 3rd and pops out sometimes and also sometimes it pops out of 3rd on upshift too. I pretty much have to slam the shifter hard into 3rd on downshift and hold it.
I used to have one in this car but when I started to accumulate parts for my 409 build I decided to go 4 speed and it would have been a shame to not use the nice 4 speed conversion parts I got from pvs409! Maybe if I ever get another one it will be more fore race I might consider it.
Got a nice little drive in this afternoon. Trying to take advantage of as many nice days as I can before the snow shows up. Also finally got a picture of all 3 of my favorite things in life right now. The daughter is always hard to get a picture of she doesn’t stay still very long!
Well with white crap coming out of the sky and my state lives pouring salt all over the roads I winterized the 62 this weekend. Got the oil changed, coolant in, and drained the fuel out and put in some 110 octane. I got it all up on stands and removed the transmission and tore it apart. Looks like it will need a 3rd gear and synchro and slider. Didn’t see an obvious reason as to why so I’m wondering if my improper shifter adjustment wasn’t the root cause.
Got all the parts for my transmission and it’s all back together now just have to get it back into the car! I engaged 3rd gear and set the shift cover on to make sure everything is fully engaged and then the shifter and everything seems good. I’m thinking I caused my own problems initially with my shift stop set too tight not letting the slider fully engage 3rd gear.
Well it’s been cold and crappy so haven’t done much I did get the trans all stuffed back in the car though. Once taxes are here then I will move and do some rear suspension work and driveline upgrades. In the mean time I got some new valve cover gaskets to hopefully stop the leaks I have from the existing ones.