Slow build 1962

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I finally got around to doing the front end rebuild on my 62 Impala. I put new bushings, ball joints, and springs in. I have to say I'm glad I'm done with that part of my build I didn't like getting the new springs back in the car it was a real pain but needed to be done.
I went a little different rout on bushings and used the global west duralum kits on my upper and lower controls arms. They fit real nice and I like that they allow the arm to rotate free now instead of being limited like the stock rubber bushings did and they are completely greaseable. I used ac delco ball joints and Moog 6004 springs. After it was all back together it defiantly sits higher in the front but I am expecting it to settle in a little with time.
This thread will probably be updated for a long time as I have a lot of things I need to do to the car yet before it will be done and even then I will still keep finding things to change and update. I'm still collecting parts for the 409 and 4 speed I will eventually put in it as well as I need to do the interior too. Like most of us on the forum I do what I can when the finances allow it. For now here are some pictures of my progress from the last couple weekends of work and things to come enjoy!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I took it for a short test drive before the storms came in yesterday and I really liked them. The steering felt more responsive and I didn't notice any extra road roughness being transferred through the steering wheel or anywhere else.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well not much exciting for updates but I got a few more items fixed this weekend. I noticed my brakes were feeling soft after driving it a couple days last week and I found my right rear wheel cylinder was leaking so I replaced both rear ones while I was at it.

Ever since I had converted to front disc brakes my brake pedal wouldn't ever come up all the way and my brake lights would stay on. I had previously tried bleeding them many times and tried a different master cylinder but nothing cured this issue. After joining this site and doing some searching I found some posts with others having the same issue and it being the brake booster. So while I was in brake fixing mode I replaced my 8" dual diaphragm with another new one and also installed a cpp relocation bracket. The cpp bracket needed a couple modifications to fit and work properly it was hitting on the steering colum seal so I had to cut it a little to clear the seal. After a quick test drive the brakes seem to return normally but a longer drive will be the real test.
Last weekend I finally got around to properly sealing the front and rear windshields being the glass guys didn't put any sealer around them just the rubber gasket is all they put in. I did the best I could and got some 3m window ribbon sealer and worked it around the reveal clips and seal. After assembly I washed it and didn't get any water inside like I always would before. I think it gets angry when I take it apart it bit me good and drew blood taking the chrome off from around the windshields :madimage.jpegAlso replaced my antenna I had installed one I got online when the body was done but it never sat straight always pointed to the right and drove me nuts. Now I still just have a repo one from online but it stands straight now and at least looks proper.

Last edited:

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It got peroxide right away and bandage with antiseptic after the bleeding slowed down

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It will just be another scar among many on my hands. I grew up on a fender of a car my old man was always hot rodding vehicles doing v8 swaps in Vegas and anything and everything with vehicles and I was always right there with him. He put the love of working on vehicles in me at a very young age so I have a lot of marks on my hands already.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Nice project, I love those '62s!

Can't wait to learn how the engine build goes :).

Cheers!
TomK

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It will be a little bit before I get to the motor but it will be a stroker already have a scat 4 stroke crank sitting in the garage for the build. Working on getting everything also rounded up for the drivetrain like the rest of the 4 speed conversion parts then after the trans and all the other parts are rounded up I will put my full attention to the engine :D

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well it started out a good day then it turned to a crappy day. Drove the 62 to work today was left alone on my projects at work and then on the way home it went down hill the big block I am running developed a death rattle in the bottom end. Now I have to park it and can't drive it till I make up my mind to fix the current engine or leave it sit till I get the 409 built and the 4 speed and round up the rest of the parts for the 4 speed conversion. This really sucks I had so much driving planned for it this summer.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's been a little bit since I posted anything on my project so I will update it a little bit. It's nothing real exciting like firing up a new motor but still progress. I have collected all of the clutch parts I will need for my 4 speed conversion including console and shift plate! I got a majority of my clutch parts from pvs409. He was great to deal with and extremely knowledgable. I got to visit him at his shop and see his cars and it have to say the shop and cars are very impressive. I got to see his 62 convertible project and he showed me where to properly align the tunnel extension on the floor and explained how it should all go together all the way to properly cutting the carpet to installing the shift plate. I got my Lakewood bell housing from BSL409 so should be good and safe with that now. I have also got the correct angle fold bucket seats now instead of the 65 bucket seats that have been in the car since I have owned it.

Being I have most of my driveline parts I am going to pull out my current driveline and set in the 409 and 4 speed and start mocking up all the clutch parts and headers. After that I can figure out my front driveshaft length and either make it myself or have it made I haven't decided what I will do there yet. Next week I am going to order my shifter installation kit and motor mount kit and think I have the correct parts found. I will post the links for the install kit and mounts and if they don't look right please correct me so I make sure I get the right parts.
Mount kit
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-1120g/
Shifter kit
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/huu-3734734

So far I have my 65 Impala seats removed and the 65 ss console and the hood removed so I can start removing the engine and transmission. Here are some pictures of some small progress and my parts I have been collecting.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking good, nana.... As far as pvs409's contribution,, aint we a bunch of lucky rascals to have so much knowledge on this site . People who care and wish to help a complete stranger because they can. Of course , strangers don't stay strangers on this site. We are family. Good luck with your build, its gonna be a good 'un.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree we are lucky to have a lot of knowledge on this site you can find everything from how to build a drag car to how to do a numbers correct restoration on here for our cars! And yes a very friendly and helpful group of people on here.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Nate I have a part number for made is USA original 409 style motor mounts -about 1/4 the price of the ones you linked.
I can look it up, I think still have the box. I recall getting them from NAPA (you have to get the right part -or they give you a China made ones). Here are the ones I am talking about but much less cost from NAPA(its the same part in this link).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-67-396-4...m5b2994ca42:m:mu1t5cxi0myi8vCRhdfqD_w&vxp=mtr

Paul

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul I will look into them. You have any experience with the shifter install kit I linked to?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I have used that kit and Summit or Jegs have the best prices
The NAPA number on the motor mount box I have is: NAPA mounts 602-1127. I remember that the mounts are Balkamp(not sure on the spelling of this brand). The price I had on the box was $ 25 for a pair(that price was about 2 years ago). I bought two sets for both 62 SS 409 convertibles at one of the local area NAPA stores. I do remember the first ones they wanted to sell me were not like the picture of the mount I posted above, so they found the correct ones.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok thanks again Paul. I should have been a little more specific on that install kit for the shifter will it work on a super t10?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I am not sure, I got all mine for Muncies. I would call and make sure.
I know one guy that installed one on a Super T-10 in a 63 Chevy but he sold the car.
I would think a Super T-10 is a separate install kit.
Paul