Slow build 1962

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well pulled the blower off and found this. I’m contemplating putting a new gasket in and see how it runs. I am also bringing Rudy the blower today being it is leaking oil and says he thinks he can get it fixed up this weekend.

Rudy Pitra at R&P blowers is an awsome guy, I bought all my blower stuff for my C10 that I built from him. I also ran enderle bug catcher with gas on it and he helped me with ideas and bypasses for the fuel system. Had an end early belt driven pump on it too. I think it was an 80 and I think James has the pump now. Good luck and we want to see some videos!!!
James went with me up to Rudy's at Waterloo one time and it's a 6 hour drive one way for us but well worth it!:winner:idea20190330_105855.jpg:pics

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will double check it again James but this is what it looked like when I was done. 1B01486E-D1B0-4148-AD88-B8F426AC6C49.jpegTooth I have some pics under another thread on here junkyard find. You are right Rudy is great to deal with I brought him the core blower and he went through it and set it all up and I bought all the rest of the blower parts from him. It’s about a 3 hour drive to him but we are on our way through to go watch the guys race in Iowa this weekend!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you using the aluminum studs to bolt down the blower to the intake? And if so how much are you torquing down the nuts for the studs?

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is good information........ however intake torque specs not on here...
James is on it, check the surface of the blower mounting flange after you torque down the intake to the heads to make sure that it is flat.

20190712_151427.jpg

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put the straight edge on the intake and it is perfectly flat. I picked up the blower on Sunday on the way back from tri state with a new gasket. Rudy put a new bearing plate on and resealed everything. He says my oil leak was from one of the holes in the old bearing plate was oversized and the plug he used didn’t fit right in it. So I reinstalled the blower tonight and fired it back up and it runs great again! I went around the intake again with carb cleaner and didn’t get any rpm increase so I think my whole issue was the blown out gasket. I did torque it down to 12 ftlbs this time so we will see what happens now. Couple small issues to address and then road test again. It doesn’t make enough vacuum to run my power brakes more than the nice so will remove the booster and go to manual brakes and have to try to readjust the stops on my shifter the trans upshifts fine but doesn’t like to downshift into third. I will still probably upgrade to Carl’s intake down the road but this will at least get me going for now!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I almost forgot the town cop stopped over tonight too when I had the door open and working on the car. It was at least a good visit he said he is a car guy and has a 70 amx and seen mine and just had to stop and see it. Started it up for him and he liked how it sounded.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes James once I get the other issues sorted definitely road tune time and. True story tooth and I can’t wait to get on the road again! I forgot to post a picture of my gasket that was blown out here it is. 3153998E-C03F-42EB-BB88-9AD1B4D1694C.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That reminds me,, when I started my blower motor up La Hot Rods (James) was there and it was shaking the whole neighborhood. When the police came back to the shop door he let them in. And they said I guess you know why we're here? They looked at the truck and said wow what are you going to do with that? And then James had to say he's going to drive it up and down the loop so you can see if you can catch him? A friend? :poke:dunno

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That’s a good one tooth! I haven’t met this one before my town just started a joint policing with the next town and they started the 1st of July. He thought it was cool and said I’m sure you can outrun me with that but he said he would get me at the next gas station! It’s actually the second one that has stopped at my place the first one likes to stop and talk with the kids and give them a little prize to show that cops are more than just about upholding the law.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m just glad he is a car guy so he might be a little more understanding if a neighbor is crabby or something! Tonight I got the manual brake conversion done, backed off the shifter stop some, and did the first oil change on it. Oil looked fine for the first change some fine silver but no chunks and nothing I would call out of the ordinary. Hopefully tomorrow get a test drive in and wash her up!

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well got it washed up tonight! The old man didn’t show up so no test drive yet but she looks decent again. The copilot had to ride with from the driveway to the garage. And yes the hood will eventually get painted when my buddy gets time but that’s not gonna stop me from enjoying it for now.1F157781-8169-41DB-AFED-3FF2EF3B9277.jpeg3AD3E57F-15FB-4C53-A931-CD6E26573A8E.jpegA1D81976-6C55-4D57-BA72-164A63625212.jpeg550E2304-E2F8-4E1F-A3F6-B7B903F07027.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4