Small Block Mechanical Advance

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone know what recurve kit has the lightest springs in it? I'm trying to set up the distributor in my '70 C20 with a stock 350 and a Quadrajet. I got a Moroso kit, but the lightest springs put it "all in" at 5000 RPM... looking to get it down to 3000... just trying to avoid buying a bunch of kits I don't need...
Thanks,
Rick

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did you change the weights also?
Yes James... I put the weights and springs in from the Moroso kit.. the springs that were in it were so tight there was zero mechanical advance. This all started on the Fourth of July, the head gasket started leaking. I took the heads and had them completely gone through. Was setting the timing and noticed there was no advance..

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have used the Mr Gasket sets in point and HEI dist and had good luck with them.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
That's what I ended up doing was using 1 from kit and a stock spring , took some advice from a guy on chevytalk that really knows his stuff .

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I got this sorted out pretty good... I got a Crane kit with an adjustable vacuum advance ant with one light spring and one medium with the original weights it was spot on... truck ran great on the way to Columbus and I didn't hear any pinging, so I guess I got the curve right...
Thanks,
Rick

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
I had a small block distributor on one of my 327 stocker motors that was erratic in the operation of the advance mechanism.It turned out that there was old grease on the top of the distributor shaft inside of the distributor cam. Took it apart, cleaned it up real good, lubed it up and reassembled the distributor, now it works like a champ.What does it say about us if we're still working on ignition systems with points?

wristpin

Well Known Member
Says that when all other electronics fail from a large EMP (Electrical Magnetic Pulse) we can still drive our relics to a safe spot while the liberals in their new SUV's and Green Friendly cars are broken down alongside the road. I do have to admit that I'll feel a little guilty about running some of them over. Guilty about bending up perfectly good anodized headlight rings and grill that is.:burnout

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Years ago I would do my own distributors and I bought the kit that had light, medium and heavy springs. I always used a light and a heavy spring but with the stock weights this is with a points Dizzy. I also used go to junkyards then I would look for old distributors and look on the bottom of the 8 lobe cam part to see the numbers, like, CCW 20 or CCW 30 or something like that, make sure you never use one from a Buick Olds or Pontiac as the their Dizzy's rotate the other way CW (found that out the hard way). The numbers were the amount of advance with the slot, then you add in your initial timing and get your total of 38° or what ever you want. I hated doing HEI Dizzy's as they suck, hardly ever used them except in my race car that has a locked in Dizzy so I do not have to fool around with it. I like the MSD Dizzy's as they have a little bushing you can put in to get the amount of advance you want.