Small block vs. 409, clutch Z bar.

Gus68

Well Known Member
So I've done some reading and googleing, and now I'm confused. I am looking for a Z bar for my 62 bel air. And there is a difference between a small block and 409 Z bar. Just can't figure out what or WHY? My thinking is, the tranny and bell housing are bolted in the same spot, that puts the engine in the same place. So Why is the Z bar any different? From what I gather, the small bracket on the frame is welded in the same place, weather it's a 6 cyl or a 409, so that's the same. So what gives?

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
look up show_cars.com and in their catalog they show all the differences in bell cranks...I'm pretty sure there is a difference as they list the measurements for at least 5...

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The 409 has equal length arms where small blocks are not. It's 409 specific. If you do not use the 409 bellcrank...you will have to re-engineer the whole setup.
Phil, doesnt the 883 Bellcrank have a shorter arm on the clutch fork side ? Thats what SC shows. 3 3/8 pedal side and 2 7/8 on the fork side.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Phil, doesnt the 883 Bellcrank have a shorter arm on the clutch fork side ? Thats what SC shows. 3 3/8 pedal side and 2 7/8 on the fork side.

You are correct for the 409 cross shaft arm lengths.

I have been selling off my extra clutch parts and the key is when the different years are mixed &
the clutch operation can be affected. 61 upper linkage & lower linkage “is one year only”, 62 factory lower linkage is like the 63 lower linkage. 64’s have different factory lower linkage.
The type of clutch fork used changes what lower rod will work. From my experience for 62’s (with the factory adjustable upper rod) there are 2 different clutch forks and lower clutch rods that will work.
Paul

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You have to have the right rod through the firewall for the clutch pedal setup for the year you have. My 59 had 59 stuff from that rod to the clutch fork, everything fit together fine with a 283 or 409 in the 59. I used the same bellhousing, clutch, pp, fork, rods, z bar. But when you say throw a different piece from a 62 into that mix, things may not line up.

Gus68

Well Known Member
Yes, I've seen the show cars chart. I can't understand WHY the difference. If I go from a small block to a 409, why all of a sudden does the arms on the Z bar need to be different? The bellhousing hasn't changed. The clutch hasn't changed. Sooo.... why? Hell, can't you even use a small block flywheel on a 409?

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Yes, I've seen the show cars chart. I can't understand WHY the difference. If I go from a small block to a 409, why all of a sudden does the arms on the Z bar need to be different? The bellhousing hasn't changed. The clutch hasn't changed. Sooo.... why? Hell, can't you even use a small block flywheel on a 409?
Gus, I pondered the same question in an earlier post and still don't have an answer. This could possibly be the biggest 409 mystery ever.

Gus68

Well Known Member
So a small block set up will work with a 409? Right now I have a 350 and Muncie and everything works. I can just put the 409 in and all will be well?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
NO!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how to say this in any other language!!!!!!! Get the right parts from Show cars!!!!!
Small block is small block FOR A REASON!!!!!
409 IS 409 FOR A REASON!!!! IT'S CLUTCH GEOMETRY. MESS WITH IT AND YOUR CLUTCH WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
There is a ratio difference between the two. So it must have something to do with pedal effort, maybe because of a heavy duty clutch. :dunno2

Gus68

Well Known Member
Ok. So what's different? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. I don't wanna buy a bunch of parts for no reason. Is the tube part of the Z bar shorter on a 409 because it's a wider block?

Gus68

Well Known Member
But if I re-use my small block clutch and flywheel, there should be NO difference in effort

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My thought is the 409 had different angles on the arms on the z bar so the 2 rods attaching to it would be different lengths than the small block, for some reason.

If your small block has a 168 tooth flywheel and you are moving everything from the flywheel to the clutch rod on the clutch pedal, it should work like it did on my 59. I used a starter mounted on the bellhousing.

The distance from the ball mount to the frame bracket for the Zbar is the same for a 409 and a small block.

Gus68

Well Known Member
Cool. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm just gonna use what I have. If it don't work for some reason, I'll get the correct 409 stuff