Small disk brake setup

409Inmyblood

Has anyone had success using a disk brake kit or something from another car that will fit the stock 14 inch steel Wagon wheels? Every thing I have found appears too big!

Ken

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Talk to Mike his screen name is "1958 Delivery". He will see your post and respond.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Just looked at this last night when I was told one can use 78 MC rotors that will not push the wheels out. Sure enough after I looked at the pictures of both the MC ones do indeed sit back about an inch or more. Ordered a set form Rockauto should be here Sat. I like out disc setup but really hate it when the car hits bumps and scrapes the tires. These rotors use the same A2 and A6 wheel bearings, so I am going to give it a try. After all it's only money.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What are MC rotors? By chance do you mean Monte Carlo? probably because that is what my kits uses but they won't fit directly, you have to cnc bearing spacers so they don't hit the spindle.:doh There's a lot more to this then just bearings:dunno
Lots of rotors use the same bearings and can fit the spindles, you still have to make a compatible bracket system to place the calipers in position. Then you can figure out if it will or not fit what type of wheels. Easier to copy someone elses kit like cpp does.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just looked at this last night when I was told one can use 78 MC rotors that will not push the wheels out. Sure enough after I looked at the pictures of both the MC ones do indeed sit back about an inch or more. Ordered a set form Rockauto should be here Sat. I like out disc setup but really hate it when the car hits bumps and scrapes the tires. These rotors use the same A2 and A6 wheel bearings, so I am going to give it a try. After all it's only money.

In re-reading your post, do you have the Chevelle rotor kit now? The 69-72 Chevelle rotor is the only rotor in existence that fits your spindles directly, no spacers or adaptors
Your best bet is my larger zero offset, 11.2" rotors won't hit the fender lip and doesn't fit original 14" wheels

425/409ER

Well Known Member
What are MC rotors? By chance do you mean Monte Carlo? probably because that is what my kits uses but they won't fit directly, you have to cnc bearing spacers so they don't hit the spindle.:doh There's a lot more to this then just bearings:dunno
Lots of rotors use the same bearings and can fit the spindles, you still have to make a compatible bracket system to place the calipers in position. Then you can figure out if it will or not fit what type of wheels. Easier to copy someone elses kit like cpp does.

I was reading on one of the other Chevy sites 58-64 and there were a few that used the Monte Carlo rotors without ant trouble. As I looked at the pictures of the 2 you can clearly see that the only difference was the hat was further back so for $70 I am going to take a shot to see if they will work. If they don't, well it's a learning experience. After all seems like most of the stuff I have bought for this car that's supposed to fit has had problems also. Damn hotrodding cars, I need a new hobby like picking on the lefty's. LOL.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You threw $70 in the toilet. No other rotor then the 1969-72 Chevelle fits directly on your spindle, The 1978 midsize rotor does not fit, it will hit against the spindle. If we're talking same rotor, 1978 Malibu, Monte Carlo same rotor. Only fits with a special built bearing adaptor.
You never said if you have the 69-72 Chevelle rotor based kit, which moves outward 3/4". If so, even if that rotor would fit you still don't have a seal that fits your spindle and the calipers are in a different location on your present kit and they are spaced out for an 11" rotor not a 10.5" one. I wish it was so easy just to be able to buy different rotors to suit my needs.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don't have a dog in this hunt but........I just don't understand when a person has a "problem" he is talking about here.....and a professional vendor has the correct part for him.....why doesn't he take his advice??
:yup............agree completely...........:bonk

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I am working on this now, too hot today to finish it. I had the rotor on and the caliper actually fits better with the 78 MC rotor than the other one as my caliper does not hang up with this one. It is narrower like the other guy said but I have a fix for that. I have a buddy that can machine my spindle a little so the outer bearing will snug up better, after that the seal was the other problem but I solved that by using a trailer seal that will work perfect. Oh ya, the rotor does not hit my spindle at all. When I get it done I will take some pictures.