Small things, big consequences.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I'll share this in hopes it may prevent a possible bad outcome. On one of many runs during the weekend at dragway 42 Dave Coots and I were at the end of a pretty hot run. Dave took the win and in our special fashion was giving me the Hayden salute. I was laughing and watching him not paying attention to where I was on the track. I was probably at 60 mph coming up fast on the last turn off for the return road. I have Wilwood discs all the way around . I locked them up! Smoked the front tires. Ok, the brakes did their job. Got back to my pit and pulled behind my trailer. I needed to back up a little having overshot. I put the tranny in reverse and backed up. When I tried to apply the brakes the peddle went to the floor. I didn't panic and took the tranny out of gear but drifted back into the pit road. Luckily no one was behind me. Turns out the cotter key had broken and allowed the clevis pin to drop out. Now, start from the beginning and read this again. Please, check the little things.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You were lucky Ray, could have been very tragic. That reminds me when i had my first new 63 i was coming home one day living on farm at the time and drivng on rural road and lost clutch . Limped it home and fourd cotter pin came out on z bar. Car wasn't even a year old. Thing's happen.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'll share this in hopes it may prevent a possible bad outcome. On one of many runs during the weekend at dragway 42 Dave Coots and I were at the end of a pretty hot run. Dave took the win and in our special fashion was giving me the Hayden salute. I was laughing and watching him not paying attention to where I was on the track. I was probably at 60 mph coming up fast on the last turn off for the return road. I have Wilwood discs all the way around . I locked them up! Smoked the front tires. Ok, the brakes did their job. Got back to my pit and pulled behind my trailer. I needed to back up a little having overshot. I put the tranny in reverse and backed up. When I tried to apply the brakes the peddle went to the floor. I didn't panic and took the tranny out of gear but drifted back into the pit road. Luckily no one was behind me. Turns out the cotter key had broken and allowed the clevis pin to drop out. Now, start from the beginning and read this again. Please, check the little things.
You were very lucky there my friend.