Smokey Yunick

M

MK IISS

I believe Ray Fox knows as much as anyone about building a winning Chevrolet race car. It was a Ray Fox Chevrolet that Junior Johnson won the '60 Daytona 500 with. Junior Johnson's famous MkII/Mystery Engine '63 Impalas were Ray Fox cars.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
It would be nice to video tape an interview with Fox. I had the pleasure of talking with Richard Petty 2 weeks ago and he is as sharp as a tack, knows and remembers everything. I got to look at one of his Nascar Hemi engines-Theres actually a nice museum in Level Cross dedicated to him. When you look at those gigantic heads on that 426 block- I think it was more than fair that Chevy should have been allowed to use the Z11 409 or the Mystery motor to run up against the hemi.

M

MK IISS

Mark: Someday I hope I can visit the Petty museum. Are there two different museums? Some info says Randleman..other info says Level Cross ??

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Richard

I think Randelman is the correct location and Level Cross is a mile or 2 North

punch in the address on google maps and it will give you the exact location. Theres an aweful lot of history in that museum with his dads Oldsmobile too

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,

I think the Richard Petty Museum is near the Petty complex in Level Cross. I've never been to it but have been past the exit for it. Each year, when I come to the Turkey Run in Daytona, I see Ray Fox. He's on in his eighties but is still sharp as a tack. They have a little group called the Legends of Auto Racing and have a little museum of their own. It used to be in the shopping center there near Smokey's old shop. I think all of that property is being sold now so I'm not sure where they are now. I have several caps and T-shirts that I've bought from them over the years. Last year, when I was down, I went by Smokeys and the building was still there but the sign was gone, the year before, the sign was still there and I took a picture of my car under the sign. For those who never saw it, the sign read, "Smokeys, Best Damn Garage in Town"

M

MK IISS

I remember reading an article about Smokey's garage about a year ago. The article said Smokey's daughter was going to auction off the sign to the highest bidder and the property was to be sold.

The official Petty Enterprises web site said the museum is: "now in a new expanded location".

I bet Ray Fox knows more about the MkII than anyone. His car was the fastest at Daytona and the only one to win several races...six I belive in 1963.

brisbane47

Well Known Member
"Mystery 427":

If you get any chance to talk to Ray Fox, he is the one who would know the most about the actual use of this engine. I had a chance to work with him in late 1962 and up until the Daytona race in 1963. He had the ability to make a car work, and Junior had the driving style to make it win. I am going to try to look him up this year on our visit to Florida. Brisbane47

M

MK IISS

Mystery 427

Comments by Ray Fox:

"My contract was with Chevrolet. Smokey was not part of it. My parts came directly from Chevrolet. When Chevrolet withdrew from racing, they paid me off prior to the Daytona 500. I ran all of the races I was contracted to run after the pull-out because they paid me to do a job. Smokey and the others did not. I ran all my parts, cams, etc. as long as they would with no further help from anyone. I eventually sold, at year-end what was left to a man from Georgia.

I always thought it was a rush job by Chevrolet on the engine. This created a lot of problems. The engine was a powerhouse. If more time had been spent in correcting minor problems it could have been 'Katie bar the door' time."

taken from LATE GREAT CHEVYS...June 1999, Vol. 19 No. 8, Pg 6

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Smokey's garage 2/89

Found a couple pictures from Smokey's garage I took in feb '89. If I can get them to post. Got a picture of the "mystery engine" somewhere but haven't found it yet. Remeber the headers he made that were so loud cuz he added air to em? other picture is the rear of the indy car, other is of auction he was holding selling any and everything. If you can see, he is above the letter 'E' on the WELCOME sign.

I can't figure out how to attach them from my scanner, anybody help me? :bang

bobs409

Administrator
Ray, you won't be able to post right from scanning. Files right from scanners or camera's are very large in size. You must first save them to your computer and then edit them to make them smaller to meet the forums maximum size limit.

See this thread on the sizes: http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=691

Bob

raymar58454 said:
Found a couple pictures from Smokey's garage I took in feb '89. If I can get them to post. Got a picture of the "mystery engine" somewhere but haven't found it yet. Remeber the headers he made that were so loud cuz he added air to em? other picture is the rear of the indy car, other is of auction he was holding selling any and everything. If you can see, he is above the letter 'E' on the WELCOME sign.

I can't figure out how to attach them from my scanner, anybody help me? :bang

bobs409

Administrator
Posting some pics for Raymar:

Attachments

• auction.jpg
    auction.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 164
  • headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 156
  • indy-engine.jpg