Sodium Silicate

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I love that trunk display. I can't do that display on the 61 as would probably be locked up and some interesting items be "confiscated"
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just a thought...

I would submit that some of the folks who work at / operate bone yards are not all that scrupulous, and that opportunity is their game. I myself have passed a few greenbacks/twelve packs along to select persons at local boneyards for "special privileges". So long as no one is looking, lots of things can happen in a short time. Now if they set it up like a chop shop, where everything that comes in goes inside for a few hours, that is another ballgame.

Just thinking...

TomK

bobs409

Administrator
This whole thing is a crock anyway. It's not really helping the environment. Maybe .000001 % if that. :rolleyes:

I think it's just a way of stimulating the economy some more on the backs of the taxpayers. Even at that, most of these buyers were probably going to buy a new car anyway. This president is out of control. He spends money like a drunken sailor.

If they want to help the environment, maybe they shoud do something about the private jets and air liners that congress use. I heard they just bought 3 new jets of some type for congress to use for 300 million dollars or so. It sure must be nice I'll tell ya. Maybe Obamination could cut back on all the flying around making speeches all the time. He thinks he's still on the campaign trail.

How about that witch Nancy Pelosi move to Washington instead of flying to California to "one" of her homes every weekend. She sure doesn't mind using up lots of fuel and polluting the air.

I could go on and on but what's the point, it won't do any good.

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
Hello from Switzerland,

It is just a matter of time until these green bastards and bean counters will begin to chase fine (409) Impalas and Belairs like wild animals and kill them.
It will happen, you will see. Their idea is always the same to find something
or somebody to hide their inability to change things to the better side.
For example: My '64 Impala SS has now on this date 72'486 kilometers.
In 45 years 45'303 miles means about a thousand miles a year. What could this have done to our world? I know it is not the only car like this, but nevertheless you can forget about that. They just want to have our cars as black sheep's, that is what they want. So let's take care of our babies and if nothing helps try some special accessory! See below! :cool:
:dohNot to be rude, but are you insane? Not one of the cars that will be turned in is a boil on the as* of the long and glorious history of the motor car, not one will be worthy of losing sleep over, anecdotes aside. No one is after our classic cars as even the greenest zealot is not an idiot. The negligible environmental impact of all the miles of all the classic cars on the planet pales in comparison to the impact of this program. If a vehicle is worth more than $4500 than it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure you ought to trade the damn thing in. The facts--
--Your trade-in can not be more than 25 years old.
--Parts can be stripped, but the engine block must be rendered inoperable.
--You must own the car for at least 1 year prior to trading it in.
--Clunkers must get less than 18 miles a gallon combined fuel economy, as rated by the Environmental Protection Agency. If a clunker car is traded in for a new car that achieves 4 to 9 miles per gallon better fuel economy, the credit is $3,500. If it gets 10 mpg more, the credit is $4,500.

Here's the math, its a $3b program and if each transaction goes at the $4500 (and not all will) it produces 666,667 sales which by any reckoning will create jobs. Using the minimums mpg spreads of 18 mpg being crushed and 22 being bought on an average 10,000 miles per year that saves 67,373,737 gallons of gasoline every year. My guess is that the real total will be a multiple of this figure. Every penny we keep out of the hands of the lunatics that we buy oil from that are trying to blow us up is a good thing. I am not a fan of wasteful government spending but by any measure this program is a huge success.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Larry, " by any measure this program is a huge success". Yes, I agree, if you happen to be a dealer, it is a huge success. They raised the prices right before CFC went into effect. Now, someone in the market for a vehicle, that does not qualify for the CFC program , all of a sudden , finds that vehicle is more expensive than before the program was announced. The CFC program helps 600,000 buyers, ( at least they think it does ) but how many buyers are paying too much for their vehicles because of the program. A 3 billion dollar program? Yes, and where does that 3 billion come from? We all know the answer to that. Of course, when talking about deficits of over a trillion, 3 billion isn't that much. What about the people that don't want to buy a car? Why should their taxpayer money go to people who do? Over 600,000 sales? Where does a lot of that money go? Asia. Yes, I know, some of those companies hire American workers. Do they build factories here to help American workers? No, it is to clear more profit per vehicle. The profit goes to Asia. The American government owns 60% of GM and I don't know how much of Chrysler. And of course, as in all big government programs, there will be theft and fraud on a grand scale. It will take years to uncover sme of that, but it will happen. The CFC program is a bailout on top of a bailout. As you can see, I don't agree with you on the success of the program. No hard feelings,, we just see things differently.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Larry, " by any measure this program is a huge success". Yes, I agree, if you happen to be a dealer, it is a huge success. They raised the prices right before CFC went into effect. Now, someone in the market for a vehicle, that does not qualify for the CFC program , all of a sudden , finds that vehicle is more expensive than before the program was announced. The CFC program helps 600,000 buyers, ( at least they think it does ) but how many buyers are paying too much for their vehicles because of the program. A 3 billion dollar program? Yes, and where does that 3 billion come from? We all know the answer to that. Of course, when talking about deficits of over a trillion, 3 billion isn't that much. What about the people that don't want to buy a car? Why should their taxpayer money go to people who do? Over 600,000 sales? Where does a lot of that money go? Asia. Yes, I know, some of those companies hire American workers. Do they build factories here to help American workers? No, it is to clear more profit per vehicle. The profit goes to Asia. The American government owns 60% of GM and I don't know how much of Chrysler. And of course, as in all big government programs, there will be theft and fraud on a grand scale. It will take years to uncover sme of that, but it will happen. The CFC program is a bailout on top of a bailout. As you can see, I don't agree with you on the success of the program. No hard feelings,, we just see things differently.

X2 good reply Ronnie.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
X3, I'm thinking about selling my two GM vehicles. The prices are unreal for Denali's now plus I am losing my area dealer, been in business since the late forties and is losing the franchises , so have no idea where warranty if available will take place. No wonder the "car czar" resigned.:eek:
robert

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1

The whole concept of the stimulus package regarding cars was to support the last major manufacturing industry in the US. This $3b worked as planned. As to prices, a lot of people pay too much for new cars as they just aren't good at the haggle, so be it--to me MSRP is meaningless. I make my livelihood in the real estate development industry and I am much more concerned over the $700b that was pumped into the financial sector to create liquidity throughout the economy. You may read about banks loosening up lending but its BS from 1st hand experience. Money has flowed to banks but trickled out to the borrowing public. In prioritizing concern over the massive government spending you hit it on the head $3b is chump change and in my strongly held belief better spent than most of the stimulus money. I am not a trained economist but like to think I have something resembling a head on my shoulders and I shudder to think about the how much more devastating the collapse would have been had the government not cranked up the printing presses.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I always find it interesting when the price of a government project is mentioned.
No one ever figures out how much return these projects have on the amount spent.:scratch

Now , don`t get me wrong, I'm not alway in agreement on the spending but just want to point this out.

When the government spends a dollar that dollar spent goes to someone who pays taxes on it.
Those taxes go back into the coffers of the Treasury and will off set the money spent.
Now not all the money spent is off set by taxes but it does reduce the amount of money that was given out.

This is just a simple explanation on the point I want to make,,,

Richard/SIA

Well Known Member
ACTUAL cost to taxpayers, $8,460.00 per "Clunker" trade in!

No wonder they "ran out of funding" so quickly! :eek:

I will see if I can find the article again.

It was long, but the interesting point is the actual cost, nearly $4K in processing cost to administer this stupid program for each exchange. :cuss

The claim that this is going to help the environment is just political cover, only a Greenie Eco-Nut should be that gullible. :crazy
Crushing or shredding cars before they are picked clean and the materials sorted is beyond stupid, it's criminal. :takethat

The claimed "reductions in fuel consumption" is a sick joke.
I have OLD sports cars that exceed the mileage of the latest gee-whiz fuel infected commuting appliances!

Cars would all get MUCH better mileage if the Gov. Org. had not MANDATED so many unnecessary gas gulping add ons. :nono1:
Heavy bumpers, air bags, side impact beams, MORE air bags, air pumps (for emission control), catalytic converters, etc., etc,! :evil

I can honestly say that there is not a single new car on the market that I would want, regardless of cost.
So the only way to force me into a newer car is to outlaw my old ones, and they are in fact working on that.
This BS "Clunker" scam is a step toward that agenda, just watch what follows! :barf

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Another of the facts of this "clunker" program. I think all of the top 10 disposed of cars are american made while 4 out of the top five purchases are Foreign. I wonder how they would like to have my 2004 Park Ave Ultra with about 9,000 miles or so and it has been garaged and still smells new inside. Wonder if this is a "clunker"? I know it is a garage queen and might not have gotten wet. Does it classify?
Robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another of the facts of this "clunker" program. I think all of the top 10 disposed of cars are american made while 4 out of the top five purchases are Foreign. I wonder how they would like to have my 2004 Park Ave Ultra with about 9,000 miles or so and it has been garaged and still smells new inside. Wonder if this is a "clunker"? I know it is a garage queen and might not have gotten wet. Does it classify?
Robert

Robert- Unfortunately your park avenue does not qualify for the combined mpg. I guess you are going to have to keep that car and smell that fresh leather!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I wonder how they would like to have my 2004 Park Ave Ultra with about 9,000 miles or so and it has been garaged and still smells new inside. Wonder if this is a "clunker"? I know it is a garage queen and might not have gotten wet. Does it classify?
Robert

I wonder if you would let me buy it for the $3500 and then you could use that for a down payment for a Corolla :yawn:,,,,, or better yet a Kia !!!:crazy:cool:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
DQ I am probably going to sell it against Paint John's advice. He doesn't like to get rid of anything!! It might not suit your purposes as it has chrome dual exhaust tips but they aren't fishtail tips. For $3500 do I have to deliver it? I'm guessing that you don't need a famous maryland inspection certificate??
robert

oil4kids

Well Known Member
its funny how GM and Chrysler were told to idle there plants and then they introduce a clunker rebate program when there is now a shortage of american made cars and trucks. Try to go find a surburban or hybrid Tahoe, there are non available

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
This Clunker program is hurting the dealers, that make their living, more on used cars. These cars would normally be on the used car lots. Now they're gone.:eek: How stupid was this program?:doh

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This Clunker program is hurting the dealers, that make their living, more on used cars. These cars would normally be on the used car lots. Now they're gone.:eek: How stupid was this program?:doh

Car dealers around here say they have TOO MANY used cars and are having big parking lots sales as I type,,,,