Some assembly required!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just got home around midnight after a long day of working on various projects. James started the reassembly of the 409 engine, thought I'd share some pics of our progress.

We've got another week to get ready for Great Bend, don't we :) :) :).

James commented that he might be doing the test-n-tune on the trailer on the way to Great Bend :).

Things are coming together, crank and pistons are in place, new cam installed, solid lifters with new push rods and roller rockers. We are still looking for one adjusting nut, it should turn up somewhere :).

Here's a few photos of the project as of Monday night:
IMG_8674.JPG
IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8677.JPGIMG_8686.JPG IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8683.JPG

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Way to go Tom!!! Not sure if anyone else said it, but you can get by just fine without a line lock. Nice to have, but time is precious so leave it for last.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, I love the valve covers. I got some, but I guess I just didn't want to fight the issues with my A/C brackets, and ARP head bolts. Just seemed that is was one more problem of many. The guys at Show Cars are great! They stepped up and beyond what they had to. They took back the valve covers and sent me the ones that I ask for, and refunded the money difference even after I told them they could keep the extra money because it was my decision not to install them. I feel bad, however I would purchase from Show Cars just because of their integrity, which means a lot to me.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just got home around midnight after a long day of working on various projects. James started the reassembly of the 409 engine, thought I'd share some pics of our progress.

We've got another week to get ready for Great Bend, don't we :) :) :).

James commented that he might be doing the test-n-tune on the trailer on the way to Great Bend :).

Things are coming together, crank and pistons are in place, new cam installed, solid lifters with new push rods and roller rockers. We are still looking for one adjusting nut, it should turn up somewhere :).

Here's a few photos of the project as of Monday night:
View attachment 29054
View attachment 29056 View attachment 29057View attachment 29060 View attachment 29058 View attachment 29059
Awesome!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Now how does that break in period go???? So many mile's before i nail it?????:scared:scared

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Right out of the garage and wing it to 6,000rpm. If she's gonna break, better to break it close to home!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We figure we'll be doing the Test-n-Tune on the trailer on the way out to Great Bend :) :) :).

Got the slicks and shocks from Summit today.

Gotta run to class tonight from 7:00 PM to 9:40 PM then off to James' house. More later!

Cheers!
TomK