Some previous race car pics.

tenxal

Well Known Member
My '67 Camaro SS/IA, circa the early '80's.

S1NFochh.jpg

nMRLajsh.jpg

Last edited:

tenxal

Well Known Member
A few details: '67 Camaro, 327-275 h.p. , Venolia pistons, Duffy's tool steel 70 gram pins, roller cams were mostly Lunati with a couple of Comp Cams in the mix, Lunati Vasco Jet springs, modified Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake, Val Hedworth Quadrajet, MSD crank trigger system. Trans was a Powerglide, TCI convertor.

Picture of the car in National Dragster magazine at a NHRA Division 5 points meet.

100_3150.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Val Hedworth lives in Macon Mo. I bought a carport from him a while back. The front of his car sales building storage shed sales office is full of Wally's! There's pictures all over the wall of his Nova and a 56 Chevy handyman wagon. He has division 5 and National event Wally's. Countless magazine articles about him and he used to love to run the super stock. Interesting guy, and a nice guy too. I was telling La Hot Rods about him....

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He's right next to the new Casey's on the east side of the road. It's kind of like a mini Museum of drag racing in his office. I think the building he's in is actually an old Dog & Suds or A&W very appropriate!:good he used to live in California and he moved to Macon for the easy quiet life, and lower taxes. LOL:winner I wonder if he's still building quadrajets?:rub I'll have to stop by and ask him, stay tuned!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A few details: '67 Camaro, 327-275 h.p. , Venolia pistons, Duffy's tool steel 70 gram pins, roller cams were mostly Lunati with a couple of Comp Cams in the mix, Lunati Vasco Jet springs, modified Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake, Val Hedworth Quadrajet, MSD crank trigger system. Trans was a Powerglide, TCI convertor.

Picture of the car in National Dragster magazine at a NHRA Division 5 points meet.

100_3150.jpg
Did you ever run against Val? Tell us a story!

tenxal

Well Known Member
Val Hedworth is a legend in the Stock and Super Stock circles. A true innovator, a master at car set up and an absolute genius on carburetors. I still have one of his Quadrajets that he did in the late '80's that's just as fast as any other carb I run. He pioneered many of the QJet modifications that are common today...the quick opening secondaries, idle bypass circuits, modified high speed air bleeds, etc.

I still have his decals on my toolbox! :)
e9Npfuhh.jpg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Al, I went by and saw Val. He no longer has any stickers in stock but he told me that the one with the bow tie like on your toolbox caused him to get a nasty letter from Chevrolet and they were going to take him to court over copyright violation. He said they told him there were a hundred and fifty lawyers that had nothing better to do but then to sue his hind in off for using the bow tie as an advertisement without permission. He currently does not have any stickers available. But I can go up and take a picture of some of the ones that he has over the years and make some. The one on your toolbox is from the mid-70s.
He looked at some pictures of my Nova with my cowl induction that I made that picked up my ET a little over three tents, he told me that the guys who used to run superstock who run the big quadrajets used to put Springs underneath the carburetor at the base and the linkage wide-open would lift the carburetors off of the intake to allow more CFM underneath the carburetor. And when the car was idling the linkage would allow the carburetor to go back down on its base but it was really fat and sounded horrible and like it was loading up. He said they done that for several years. From the late 60s to the early 90s drag racing was his life and he has rebuilt thousands a Quadrajet carburetors. He was really lighting up when I was talking to him. He's won 8 national events and has the Wally's to prove it. Not to mention the division 5 races. It's kind of funny seeing pictures of him back in the sixties and seventies with his fairly long hair and now he has a flat top haircut. He was also telling me the story of his 56 2 door handyman wagon, it had a 265 / 225 horse engine in it and it ran low 12's 265 engine in a vehicle that big running that kind of time is impressive to say the least. Especially running Factory available parts in it. Had a good visit going to go back and take some pictures. Stay tuned another incredible storyteller in my neighborhood. Told him about Russ Campbell's Hemi challenge car and he said that was really cool and I'm going to show him some videos of it....
Burn a tire, Tooth!

Last edited:

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
A friend of mine dropped off a pair of '56-265
carbs(the two four barrel kind) correct# and perfect shape.
He didn't give Val any of his information but told him he would be in touch.
Fast forward five years or so my friend went to pick them up.Val had sold them.
My friend was pist. Val gave him another pair not# correct but very nice.
Val said he had no idea how to contact him and after a few years sold them to a guy who wanted them for his super stock '56 Chevy.
I think that was more than fair.
This was back when Val moved to the Seattle area to get away from the California way of life around 35 years ago

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Saw Val today, when I went in his business he was watching Gunsmoke! I went in and sat down and talked to him for a while and he said he had something for me and he gave me a container of his block filler said he would never use it I might be able to find somebody that could use it and he gave it to me. He also showed me all of his stickers and gave me some magazines to take home and read some of the articles that he was featured in. Had a nice afternoon and evening talking with him and learning about his racing history. Got Wally's? Here's a few but not all of them. He was even the Winston track champion in Southern California in 1981 and they gave him this huge sticker to put on his wall. Al you can make copies of these stickers and he won't sue you, and he said if he had some he would give them to me but he's all out and has been for a while. Sorry!

Attachments

• 20191104_152422.jpg
    20191104_152422.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191104_151823.jpg
    20191104_151823.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20191104_151947.jpg
    20191104_151947.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20191104_151853.jpg
    20191104_151853.jpg