Source for steelies?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A local guy here in town has acquired a 1962 Impala SS convert and she has an old (but good looking) set of stock wheels with ribbed tires. I drove it a few miles and was afraid to go more than 45 MPH (it's not my car...) with that hard rubber on it.

He wants to make a nice driver out of it. James will be going over the drive line and getting it in driver condition. It's a QA 409 original to the car, BW T-10 four speed.

That said, he wants a separate set of wheels and tires to go cruising in. Wants to keep the '62 SS spinners, so we're limited to 14" wheels and tires.

What are some good sources for new steelies that might do trick? I've got a set of those early 70s Kelsey-Hayes "Camaro" wheels, I think they are 7 or 8 inches and are 14" wheels. Are those good options? I realize the options for tires suck in the 14" range...

This way he can drive on the new wheels and tires, and if he wants to show the car, he can change over the ribbed Goodyears on stock wheels painted the correct color.

Thanks in advance!

TomK

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If he puts a full hubcap the wheel doesn't matter that much as you can't see the wheel with full caps. So repop 14" rally wheels are avail from 6" and wider, relatively inexpensive. 14x6 from Wheel Vintiques are $80ea