Spark plug ?

AZCharlie

I have visited this site before and learned lots of good info here so thought I would finally post a question. It's been years since I messed with my 09 and now need some expert advice. I was trying to install new spark plugs and noticed that they only go in about 4 threads. Is this the way it was designed, to only catch that many untill it bottoms the crush ring. I'm using the AC44's and the heads are the stock 690's. Do I need to retain the crush ring or can I leave it out. Thanks guy is advance for helping.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Charlie, Whoa fella!!! AC 44N or AC 43N not 44 !!!! 409s use long reach plugs. Current AC number is R43XLS or R44XLS for warmer plug.

AZCharlie

Ronnie, Thanks for your input. I am using the R44XLS long reach plugs. And they only catch 4 threads before the crush sleeve hits the head boss. I had Champions in there originally and they did the same thing. Can anyone else shed some light on this. Thanks, Charlie

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Autolite 64

My Autolite 64 plug will turn out 5 turns from a compressed washer. That is 3/8 of an inch in depth which is deeper than the head is threaded. If you are comming out 4 turns from compressed washer seat I think that is enough. Count the turns out from seat. Takes a lot to compress the washer. Use a torque wrench the first time at least. That way you are sure the washer is all the way down.

AZCharlie

Thank you models916 for clarifying this. I also can get the five turns after compressing the washer. All these years and I never noticed this, the threads are so long you assume that they all thread. I guess I am good to go, try to fire it as soon as I get my new MSD dissy and wire it all up. Thanks all, Charlie

mercsrus51

Spark Plug !

I just installed Autolite 65's in my 348, and its never ran so good....

I got these from the local speed shop,, and I have known these people for over twenty five years... My question is,, is this a correct plug for the 348 mild cam,,, tri power...???:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Autolite Heat Range?

My local guys gave me 64s. Copper core plugs gapped them at (45) for MSD ignition. Anybody know if the nos. get hotter on the way up? Points might benefit from a hotter plug.