Spark Plugs

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Or most fuel injected engines for that matter! Bosch makes some good stuff,but spark plugs aren't one of them.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pretty sure the Accel plugs are Bosch. I have use them in the past without problems.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
How bout the E-3 .....ever tried em???? Don't know if they cover the 409???? Just thinkn aloud....

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In my opinion all of the "specialty plugs" are a waste of money. I'd put a set of AC Delco, Autolite, or similar in it and call it good. Our engines are one of the easiest every built to change plugs on. I'd hate to spend big bucks on E3's or Splitfires or something like that and then have them get gas fouled because of a little trash in the needle/seat of one of the carbs. I think you'd be better off to just run some normal ones and you could even keep an extra set on hand. As for gains, you'd probably see as much or more from a fresh set at the track ...... and taking time to index the electrodes to get the best burn. Just my opinion.

chuckl

Well Known Member
I have not had good service out of a Bosch platinum plug in ANY carb'd engine.

Really!!! I have talked to several service managers--Chevy, Cadilliac, Buick, F**d,Dodge and private auto garages. Almost without exception, they all say the same thing--most of their "service" or "check engine" problems is cured by tightening the gas cap on later models and changing from Bosch plugs back to OEM plugs on older makes with fuel problems, especially 348/409 engines! When I ask them what is the cause of such difference the answers vary but a common thread is they (Bosch) do not work well at all in American engines--especially carburated ones. The majority say to stay away from Bosch platinum. A couple of hotrodders I asked stated, "Bosch is the best" but offered no reason why they chose Bosch other than: if it is expensive then they gotta be good. Is it the resistance in the plug core? I guess electrical sparking in Europe is different the USA. That is a new on on this old coot!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think it is something to do with the way the insulator completely comes all the way to the tip of the core instead of the core sticking up out of it. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but that's what I'd guess. :dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For quite sometime a few years ago,Bosch would put their platinum junk on promotion.and "do it your self" places would make extra money by pushing the customer,who,like the counter kid,didn't have a clue about things like heat range.As a professional mechanic,I've pulled out many sets of that junk,replacing them with the recommended spark plug by the engine manufacturer,many had burned up in as little as 6,000 miles.My late brother called me one day about a friends v6 Mustang that they couldnt get to run right.When I asked the owner,who I also knew,what plug he put in the engine,his responce was Bosch Platinum's,the guy at Autozone said "these are the "top Sh!t"My responce was,he called that right,they are indeed sh!t,go get the Motorcraft or Autolight recommended replacement plug and install them.They did,the misfire went away,the check engine light quit flashing,and the car run fine .Their reputation is so bad now that even the know little people at places like Autozone and Advance wont recommend them. For your W engine use the A-C Delco,Autolite,or NGK plug,and get the correct heat range for your level of build,and intended driving use,and you'll be happy and trouble free.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
My 1996 9c1 LT1 Caprice ran worse with New Bosch plugs then the orig 135000 mile AC platinum, plugs, I pulled them out and put fresh AC Platinum back ,