Spark Plugs

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Good articles, not sure I understood all of it, but it helped.

Question: What plugs are you guys using for drag racing in your cars? Is anyone using Iridium plugs? My engine is a Jack Gibbs stroker at 479 CI. Edelbrock alum. heads, 11:1 compression , Edelbrock alum manifold Edelbrock cards & MSD AL6 box. I am currently using NGK BKR7E heat range 7 & thinking of changing to NGK R5671A-7 which I believe is the racing version of the above plug. This was the recommendation I got from NGK when I spoke with them. Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful. Thanks:)
Joel

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Yes I have numerous times. The plugs look good & burning okay. I have had people look at them & tell me they look good. Just trying to see what others are using & see if there is anything out there that might help from other members experiences. Thanks.

Joel

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How far is the heat line working down the ground?
I have run the stock AC # plug (don;t remember the number 44 I think) but like one # hotter but I run iron heads.
I like the NGK plugs.....had a set in the car for more than a year with never a problem.
The Iridium plugs have me thinking but I am not to that level to need the extra cost.
Not sure I could generate enough pressure to blow out a candle. :D

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Not sure, will have to read the article again & evaluate. The NGK's I have been running seem to be doing fine. I have a guy here who gets them for a $1.99 each. That's not too bad & I get some good runs with them & don't change them too often.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks James, interesting reading.With the BWR heads I've been running NGK R5672A--9 at .040. Are most guys using a gap similar to that with MSD ignition? The article also confirmed my thoughts on why a different plug for aluminum and iron heads. I need to look up info on that indexing tool from Allstar Performance, but I imagine I'll just keep indexing the old fashioned way. I just wonder what the Dyno says about HP gain by indexing??? I also learned what to look for on the electrode for fuel/timing. I always just looked at color on electrode for correct burn.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With all of the changes that you've made to this engine,I'd leave those plugs in there for now.The 45 is one range hotter than the 44,and this new combo may not want a hotter plug.On an engine that's mostly raced,you're better off,consistancy wise going about one range colder than you are with one range hotter.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Joel, I will look too. I have run ACs, Champions, NGKs, Delphis, and currently MSDs, believe it or not! But no fine wire stuff and no gap over .036 or so if I recall correctly. The only farts and pops are when I hit the rev limiter which I do a lot.