Speaking of garages.....

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Tom Kochtanek,

Did you ever post the finish followup pictures of the garage/shop you built several years ago? I don't recall that.

Tom

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Tom: Sorry to report that the building has not yet been constructed. Had to use the proceeds to hold on to the 20 vacant lots during the period from 2008 to current. I did set aside that double lot properly zoned for a 4460 square foot building. I have the lot paid off, the utilities roughed in and the 40 by 60 walls poured. Then I ran out of money. The next step is the more expensive one, and if I sold all my cars I could afford to build it out :(. But then what would I put in there?

Costs have risen since my aborted start, the building permit is now expired (cost my $948 back then) and now it is more than $5000 to renew.

Seems that financing is finally coming around and I hope to construct 2 more rental buildings this summer. I can get loans for those, since they have cash flow. The building does not, making it difficult to secure funds. So I have to save up and pay cash. I am at $85K at this point (lot, utilities and foundation work). I estimate that I will need at least $150K to complete. It will be "special" when I do get it done. I might have to move in when I get it done!

Will you be in Great Bend this September?

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
WOW Tom! That is terrible. I'm hoping I can come up with about $15 or $20k to build my little shop. I'm getting to old to work in the dirt and my stuff sit in the elements. Gotta get them inside while there is still something left to save.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Things are cheaper down here Jason,but you'll probally need to double your projections for your expendatures,and leave off the "man-cave"! :roll

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My plan is very basic Don. Not the most awesome shop in the world, but it will fit my budget and get me and my cars out of the dirt. About $3000 in concrete and $9600 (including tax) for the building materials in a "kit" form. Looking at doing an enclosed pole barn from Armour Metals out of Augusta and getting some friends to help put it together (not for free, but not killing me either.) I will have to go pick up the materials myself, probably take two trips, but only 90 miles away. They have a nice calculator on their site and even a few videos of them putting one up. Steel two part roof trusses. http://www.armourmetals.com/index.html 30' x 48' with 14' high sidewalls. One 16' wide x 12' high roll up door, one entry door, one window.....no insulation. I figure it I can get it up and together I can worry about insulation later. I have a close friend who can help me wire it. Lighting will run me a couple hundred. The lot is fairly level so I'll save there. The one thing I don't know the cost of is the actual concrete work. I know what the slab will cost....just not the smoothing and finish work of it. I'll do the form myself. I already have a 60 gallon compressor waiting for a home and a welder (even though I have never used one.) Planning on a $1600 two post lift.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sometimes I wish I could just put up a pole barn. My limiting factor is zoning, as I am part of a planned community inside the City limits. So I have to abide by those regulations. The building has to "fit in" with it's surroundings, so it will need to be a custom or a "stick built" project. I did change my original plan to include a suspended concrete floor for the the main floor. That will allow me to have vehicles on two levels. The basement is 40' by 60' with ten foot ceilings in most places, higher near where the lift will go. Top floor is ground level and will be 40' by 44'. Showroom up top, work area down below. Heat will be radiant PEX in the concrete floorings.

It is required that I have approved contractors for most mechanicals (electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc.) so that drives the price up a bit. Plus there are those pesky inspections :).

I do look forward to the day I can finish this project, it's been almost 8 years in the making :).

Cheers,
TomK

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow fancy project for sure Tom but I'm sure it will turn out great. And here I was happy with my 32 x 26 hahahaha :laugh:doh

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah the pics I've seen of Tom's collection always makes me think of one of those big treasure piles that you see in the pirate movies. Just more cool stuff than you can think of everywhere you look.
When (and if) I get all my stuff together it will look like a big pile of junk.....with some good parts here and there. (That description kinda sounds like my beloved '61 too.) :laugh

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom,

Sorry to hear of the setback. I was waxing nostalgic and thought of the build. Last I recall was pictures of the trees coming down.

I hope you get the future plans worked out. Sorry for my late reply - wife is under the weather.

Tom

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The doc gave her a steroid shot, some Mobic and she's up and at 'em today!

Sciatic nerve issues hurt!

Thanks for the good thoughts! Cheers!