Special Order Z-11 "SS" 1963 Impala, well ..not really

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm glad Dennis answered this one because it has an entirely different meaning around here. :laugh3

Different meaning in CT too!!!

OK .....Ya' see......due to the rapidly changing events.....I now have another 409 (stroker) motor that will be for sale that currently is in the green car. I can pull it now or later and ship it. I'd rather do it later. Only run time is when Jack Gibbs did the run in before shipment. Wrong place to advertise, and will put it the FOR SALE section at some point later. $14,750.00 for inquiring minds.

IMG_2064.jpg IMG_2211.jpg

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
First of all congratulations on your Z-11, it's just too cool. I've seen Z-11's before but never with the valve covers off. What is the steel plate on the head, an early push rod guide plate or a griddle of some sort ?

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Mr. Phil Reed said that Tony Schaffer ain't no gentleman, but during our meeting with Tony at Day Automotive, I think he was proven wrong. Since Mr. Schaffer has been building 409's and Z-11's for a time now, and he is in Phil's back yard, it was an easy decision to ask him to build the motor. After a lengthy discussion of what my intentions are for the Z, and understanding that I wanted to use all the original parts I could while building a margin of safety, we have a good game plan. :read.......................The added fact the Phil is close by is a plus,............ I think!!!! :crazy

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
First of all congratulations on your Z-11, it's just too cool. I've seen Z-11's before but never with the valve covers off. What is the steel plate on the head, an early push rod guide plate or a griddle of some sort ?

Yes, it's a pushrod guide plate. If you look at the valve covers you can see that they've got a different shape to the inner corners. That's so they will clear the guide plates.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for the info Jim. I did read about the valve covers but had never seen the guide plate. Sure would like to have those heads!:love
These original guide plates were at one time modified and now have rounded corners for use with the regular 409 valve covers. The non-modified guides had sharp corners and required the Z-11 valve covers. At least that's what Phil R. (aka Dr. Phil) told me!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Anybody know if the original carb linkage on the Z11 was progressive? Seems like it would not be needed with your foot to the floor all the time. On the street, maybe.