Speed limit

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just read on line about State Highway Route 130, that runs between Austin and San Antonio, Texas. The speed limit is 85 MPH. Yikes, that is a lot. The only road in the US that is that high. Seems they caught a speeder on a motorcycle doing 181 MPH in an 85. Wonder how they caught up to him?? The highest speeder in a car, Dodge Challenger, was clocked at 160 MPH. So, if you're legally allowed to do 85 MPH, can you safely do 100 MPH before being pulled over?? Speeds like that in the quarter mile are fine, but a constant mile after mile has to be nerve wracking, at least for me. It's only 65 MPH tops on some major highways in my area. I did notice a few years ago, that I think it was Virginia, the speed limit was 75 MPH, on a portion of 95 South. So, who needs the Autobahn. Texas is closer, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
And most of them clog up the left lane! 55 SUCKED :deal period,Yes the speed limits are pushing it when over 75,and in most places,75-80 will get you by.I've found on my long trips,72-74 mph,depending on traffic,is a sane,comfortable cruising speed on the interstates.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are 2 speeds limits between my home and my job. One is 70 mph, and the other 65 mph. Realistically 80 percent of the drivers stay between 75 -85 in the 70 zone, and about 74 give a take a mile or two in the 65 zone. I was told by someone, don't know if it is true, that the highway patrol really don't look much until 80 because so many are going faster than 80. I am slowing down, however for years I would run to Los Angeles on my bikes basically at 100, or right there only stopping for gas.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think that nationwide 55 MPH speed limit was in response to the oil embargo in the mid 70's. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. They wanted to conserve oil/fuel so the limit was lowered. Guess it gradually crept back up. Must mean we have a lot of oil now LOL. When I travel on the major highways, thruways and interstates, I try to average a mile a minute, which I have to include stops such as gas, bathroom, food. If I can do that, I'm happy. Like Don, 72-74 is tops for me. I can't imagine doing 85-90 and someone buzzes by me. I bet the accident survival rate at that speed is near 0, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are correct Carmine that it was partially because the fake oil embargo. And back then if I remember right, I think the Feds were trying pull highway funds from Nevada because they kept some of the higher speeds. I don't know if we have more oil, I think production techniques and technologies have allowed to get at more, that and automotive technology lets us go faster, longer, and stronger on a lot less that ever. Think about those 400 to 700 hp cars getting 20 mpg with A/C on. Gotta love that. However I will stick to my 12mpg for as long as possible. That is when I am not driving my Honda to work. :D

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If I remember right go to Great Bend had 80 mpg limit on I-70 going west.
My 2014 Sierra 5.3 had to work hard to keep it close to the posted limit, with my trailer & 62.
It was climbing the hills at that speed that was tough.
But those triple FEX rigs kelp passing me like I was standing still.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I will never forget one night I was coming back from Colorado. I had been running with the diesel trucks all day. As night fell we started into the California desert. The truck I was following right at 100, just up and walked away from me. I had a brand new 87 Nissan pickup and didn't want to push the 4 banger motor that much. But still I could not believe how fast the truck accelerated and disappeared shortly.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
75-80 is comfortable, mind you I don't mind getting around the 100 passing slower vehicles, don't like being on the opposite side of the road for very long.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I know what you mean about being on the opposite side of the road Grub, I survived it for 9 days, barely......As far as speed I remember being out in Montana when there was no speed limit, but my problem was I had a governor on the Harley(70 MPH Mary). They changed the limit to 80 on the Interstate in South Dakota a couple of years ago and don't allow much extra. Just right IMO. Not many go faster than that anyhow. The problem I noticed was that you have to be aware of the slower cars out there. You come up on them pretty fast and need to pay attention. When pulling my car trailer or shooting trailer I usually run around 70 cuz the mileage sucks. Without the trailer I usually run 7-8 mph over. The other day running 78 I got over 21mpg and on non-interstate running 68 I got over 23mpg. Can't complain.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just before I got my drivers licence they dropped the speed limit to 55mph.
I thought they just knew I was fixin to hit the streets.
I was a slow learner....ticket of the month club lose my licence 3 times in one year. :doh

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I got pulled over outside Lincoln, Nebraska back in 2014, heading upto Mount Rushmore after leaving Great Bend.

I was doing about 85 in a 75 zone, pretty well the only car on the road ( apart from the Sheriff ), he couldn't work out exactly what it entailed giving an alien a ticket, so let me off with a warning, we pretty well stayed around the limit until we got to Columbus.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Alien.......:roll:laugh2:laugh2:laugh2Come to think of it I got ticket in Nebraska probably 30 years ago on I80. Some chick went around me in her Beemer so I was drafting he and the Highway Patrol dude got a 2 fer. :cry

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Years ago I was in KC giving an evening lecture and I was driving my then daily driver, a 1965 F-100 (don't judge me) . She was a 300 CI 6 banger with three-on-the-tree. On the way back East to Columbia (120 miles) later that night around 10:00 PM no one was on I-70 until I saw a set of lights coming up fast behind me. I was going around 70 and that Tbird zipped by me in the left lane like I was standing still. I figured what the heck and floored that six banger to see what she could do. Never caught the Tbird, but did keep her in sight and hit 94 MPH in the old girl. After about an hour of zipping along, I took my foot off the pedal near Boonville and immediately got pulled over by Highway Patrol. Got a ticket for 78 in a 70, gladly paid the fine :). I did ask him if he saw a Tbird about a mile ahead, he must have been on a donut break...

Fastest I ever went on a motorcycle was Spring Break 1976 in East Texas. Was on a Norton 750 Commando and that thing was smooth all the way up to 120 MPH. Man, I wish I had that bike back :).

TomK

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I use that toll road a couple times a week for work. I think it cost me ~$20 each way but it keeps me from travelling I35 through Austin which is some of the worst congestion in the US. The real problem on that road is wildlife. Mainly wild hogs.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Used to ride from San Diego to Yankton SD pretty often. I'd changed to smaller rear sprocket on bike for "fuel economy" while on long trips. In Utah on I-70 cruising along, arm on fuel tank and chin on arm with feet on rear sets (passenger foot pegs) doing 130-140mph. Glancing into side mirror i see headlight way behind me. No worry nobody catching me. A few minutes later a flat black Utah Highway Patrol Camero passes me like I'm parked. He just kept going. He made his point..."I can catch you anytime".