Speed-Port 6000 Manifold, First Road Test, in car VIDEO

:dunnoWell, it's done.
I prepared this 4.11 posi pumpkin, with all new internals, and a set of my bearing cap girdles:
DSC01154.JPGDSC01153.JPG

Using a 2.64 1st gear Super T10.

Went out for a drive.
I DID learn that the bit of a low end stumble, seems to be caused by the fact that it was only about 38 degrees outside. Once the engine gets a little "heat soak" in it ( warm it up, and shut it off for a few minutes... then go ), it's just fine... no drivability issues.
The only video I could get, was with the camera propped, facing the tachometer. Unfortunate thing about this, is that the sound is primarilly from one header bank, so it doesn't really sound very good:grumble.
However, the performance ?....
it actually shocked me:eek
Bear in mind, this car, with me in it, weighs 4300 pounds.
I tried to shift around 6700... but spun badly in second.
I dunno:dunno... I sure has heck didn't expect THAT !

Here's the video: ( pretty crude )
Speed-Port Intake Manifold first road test

Anybody want to guess the torque & horsepower ?... and at what RPM ? !

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Damn!!!! That thing pulls hard and revs quick- The intake and cam combo sure seem to work!

Thought you'd like the entertainment, guys:D
Without a doubt though, it's still "soft" below 3000. Granted, I DID get pretty aggressive with the heads, but they ARE still just truck heads, with their low roofs to the intake bowls. I dunno... I'm thinking that the runners may be just a little large for small port heads:rub. Shouldn't want to pull towards 7000 ( I think it may have touched a little valve float up high... just wasn't "sprung" for that ), especially since the plan is to use a carb with 50-100 more CFM than this one. That cam, in an engine this size, should run from about 2700-maybe 6100.
I'll do a little more studying/reasearch, and after the dyno test, finalize the instructions for my pattern maker. Yes, the final production part, WILL be better than this.

Today, I am going to quicken the advance curve a bit ( right now, it's not all in until about 2500 ). Then, go out of town for a little drive, check plugs for "readings", to see where the mixture is, ect. I better take my son with me too.... he was mad that I didn't take him yesterday:hide.

So, any thoughts on horsepower, and what RPM ?
Maybe there'll be a prize for the closest prediction:deal:p ( remember, that's a 4300 pound car ).

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd guess around 440hp,450-460 torque .hp peak,around 6000,torque 4200.On a cold street,with no rubber,and cold,skinny,hard compound street tires,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yea,she'll spin like a bitch!:crazy

I think you're on to something(s), Don:rub... No doubt about the spinning:crazy.
You're estimtes on power are just about identical to mine... me, perhaps not quite that much torque.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don are you talking flywheel numbers or at the tire? If you are talking at the tire thats a really stout motor

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thats kinda what I based my guess on.Jason's has more cam,and carburation,but a bit less compression

The end is near:pray..
Dyno booked for this Friday. The guys have a brand new 750 CFM Quick Fuel carburetor for me.

That's interesting.... I didn't realize that Jason's engine is almost identical to this one, including same cam.