Speed-Port 6000 Manifold, First Road Test, in car VIDEO

A LITTLE delay here...
Because of the RPM this thing seems to want to go to, I decided that I better "spring up" a bit.
Ordered parts, but they won't be here until Friday:doh
So, I'm re-scheduled for Monday ( April 8th ) morning, for dyno testing.
Not to mention, I've run myself a little ragged lately, with this thing... and
there's supposed to be another springtime snow storm all day Friday:bang ( it IS 125 miles away )

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bummer on the snow:cussstorm.How high are planning on spinning it with those stock:eekrods?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was just about to ask the same thing. Thats a lot of RPM with stock rods. Tho, this motor does have a set of Aubrey's lightened pistons installed

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brings a tear to your eye don't it Aubrey. Nice sound and awful quick. Congrats.

Don

Thats a lot of RPM with stock rods. Tho, this motor does have a set of Aubrey's lightened pistons installed

Don't I wish, Jason, Don... nope... this is a stock 63 "QB" short block. Pistons are factory stock, standard size GM / TRW 11:1 forged ( it's 409 cubic inches ). However, I did mill out the inside of the heavy/high side of the domes ( about 25 grams ) of them, so to help avoid piston "rock". I also removed excess material from the pads on the rod caps ( just makes them lighter ), then balanced the whole thing. Cylinder bores are far from "race prepared". There's some taper, there's a few light scratches, so it develops a little crankcase "pressure" under high load ( a good test for the unique oil shield under this manifold ).

How high RPM ?
Well, the road test made it obvious that it better see 6500+. Peak may be around 6000... but it doesn't lay down after that.
Because this manifold was never intended to be a low end torque builder, it's likely that the "pulls" on the dyno won't start until 3000.
I should say that I'm not expecting to make impressive power with this thing. The goal here, is to provide factual, accurate data, comparing the three different manifolds... with all else being equal.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had my first accident in a 61 Victor, took the front fender off a brand new one. Of course I had a good excuse, I was 8 at the time and Dad was sitting next to me.

Got a rev limiter on that thing? I'd hate to see it blow up on the dyno.

Don

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oh my mistake. Thought somewhere I read you had installed a set of your pistons. Looking forward to the numbers :)

No rev limiter... Running a factory 409 points distributor, with "high RPM" points in it. Thinking maybe I should put in the standard ones:think... naah, that wouldn't work... they sign off at 5500.

Today, I'm installing the stock 340 HP cast iron manifold. Will test run, re-check valve lash. Then, take the engine out of the car.
What a make-work project:grumble