Speedometer Conversion

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Getting close to finishing up this truck project we've been working on the last few years, it started out as a '71 Chevy 1 ton dually with a wrecker body on it that was in pretty bad shape, 250, 4 speed 465 trans.... We had a '80 F350 that had a good working dump box and a real bad body that someone gave us, and a '93 Chevy 1 ton flatbed that had a new Jasper 350 in it with about 2000 miles on it, new clutch, NV4500 trans. This was a running driving flatbed we got for $300.00. Anyway, my brother and I get the crazy idea to take all three trucks and build one.. It's actually coming out pretty nice, other than our bad bodywork... We plan oun using it for light hauling and mostly as a tow vehicle. Here's where the speedo comes in, I need to know if anyone knows if it's possible to adapt from the electronic sender in the NV4500 to the stock mechanical speedo drive for the '71?? I've looked all over and can't seem to find it anywhere. I will try to see if I can try to find some pictures and post them up... My goal is use this truck to tow the '61 to Bowling Green next month!!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions..
Rick

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks guys for the input.. I guess that explains why I couldn't find one..

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here are some pictures of the progress...
4DEAD77B-D2EB-4EFB-9DF5-A1720277350A.jpg

57238CF8-7DD7-4050-AA41-601A006562A6.jpg

92DE66FF-0AC5-4A5F-8BD7-43D1FD02DA9F.jpg

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks good! And like Dan said, one of the free GPS apps for your smartphone will always be more accurate than these old speedos anyways. I use one in my car in fact, works perfect. I set the phone on the trans tunnel next to the shifter. Glance down every now and then to see what I'm cruising at. No problemo

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It is possible to convert from electronic signal speedo to mechanical speedo head using a cable x box. I have one that converts the electric signal from my 4l60e to drive my original speedo in my 62 impala only thing is it isn't cheap but I wanted my speedo to work.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Downloaded the Speedview App... Gonna try it out tomorrow.. Going on a little road trip to get my new trailer:crazy .. Pretty crazy buying a trailer before the truck is done..
Rick

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds about right to me. I've been known to put cart before the horse. With the crew (wife and brother) it'll be a great rig and have the cool factor.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Made a bunch of passes last night, didn't break anything.... Red light in the third round!!!:doh Couple little things to do to the car and tow vehicle and we should be good to go next week!!:drive I'm pumped!!!
Rick;)

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Made a bunch of passes last night, didn't break anything.... Red light in the third round!!!:doh Couple little things to do to the car and tow vehicle and we should be good to go next week!!:drive I'm pumped!!!
Rick;)

OK rick, what time did it do?
Any difference from the Tripower?

Are you going to take a fine blade to the silicon at the front of the manifold on the china wall:crazy:poke

Steve

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK rick, what time did it do?
Any difference from the Tripower?

Are you going to take a fine blade to the silicon at the front of the manifold on the china wall:crazy:poke

Steve
Nope... I'm leaving it on there... I'm a sloppy hack:crazy as for the times... The ET and 60' were down, but the MPH was up... Got a feeling it was cuz of this..:burnout... Lol

F2CA1BED-87AB-4EF9-ABED-0D4020F3AC4C.jpg

Like I said.. Just a couple little things to do before next week! :doh