Speedometer Gear

Reynolds

My Transmission on my 1960 impala leaks a lot of fluid. Where is it possible to buy a new speedometer gear.

Reynolds

So much for Show Cars. Just received the Transmission Speedo Gear Holder with the message the Speedo Gear
has been discontinued. Can the old Speedo Gear be reused if this area is leaking or do I need both pieces.
Anyone know somewhere else to look.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Or the O ring.:dunno
:yupThe gear has a reverse spiral to direct the oil back into the trans. There is a o ring seal around the gear holder that may have failed. Sometimes the cable housing will develop a leak. The gear usually only gets replaced when damaged or a gear ratio change.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not sure if they will have what you need, but we have gotten some speedo gears from TCI Transmissions in the last few years.

bobs409

Administrator
Is there something special about a 1960 Chevy gear? Should find one on ebay if it's the common plastic type. :dunno Even a Chevy dealer probably still has 'em.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there something special about a 1960 Chevy gear? Should find one on ebay if it's the common plastic type. :dunno Even a Chevy dealer probably still has 'em.

I work in parts at a dealership.... sorry I can't answer about if there is anything special about the 60 or earlier because they threw out all the micro phish several years ago containing the old catalogs :bang. I don't remember them being different ?? The gears are pretty much all discontinued from GM. There is some stock left on a few dealer's shelves for some of the part numbers. There are charts on here to help you determine what part number (color/teeth) you need. We have a Dealer to Dealer Link site that I can search for specific part numbers on for old stock is anyone needs something.

Having said all that, TCI transmissions that I mentioned above has most if not all of them brand new and in stock. Packaged in their name, but not sure who the manufacturer actually is so it may be available elsewhere too. Best place we've found to get them so far.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If the "bullet",or speedo adapter is made of steel,as it likely was in those days,the leak problem is likely the rubber "o" ring on the outside,between the adapter and transmission,or the small rubber seal in the end of the adapter where the speedo cable is attached.The gear itself is rarely the problem.