Speedometer

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My speedometer just started clicking (rhythmic like a clock) as speed increases. Pulled cable from speedometer end and inspected; looks fine---no kinks or frayed spots. Cleaned and lubricated. Test drove and noise is still there.

Thoughts?

bobs409

Administrator
How did you lube it? I like to pull the cable right out of the outer housing and fish it into a jug of oil or trans fluid, then hold a rag over it while pulling it back out to remove the excess, and then just fish it back into the cable housing.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I used actual speedo lube,when i worked in a f%#d garage , it was setting on shelf for year's.My pickup did that ,and it fixed it. The lube is very light consistency made not to get stiff when cold and almost clear looking. Just completely cover the cable. Oreilly's is showing speedo lube and some on fee bay.

Last edited:

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used wheel bearing grease; moderate coating . I don't drive car much in winter. 'Obviously would like avoid pulling speedo if I can so am looking for any suggestions to isolate problem.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I cleaned mine out with solvent, cleaned the cable with solvent, then soaked the cable in 80-90 gear oil before putting it back together. Did the same in a vette for the tach cable. I'd say the axle grease is too thick.

Don

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I used to disconnect cable from speedo head then drive after servicing cable, that will tell you if its cable or speedo head, most of the time it a dry cable