Speedway motors 325 - 7158 SMALL PORT Edelbrock 348/409 intake

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Speedway motors 325 - 7158 small port Edelbrock intakeWas listed in my new just got it today street catalog. Yes it does say in stock and it used to say not available. It also says ships tomorrow for free.:rub:read Here is the listing right out of their online catalog and my new street catalog. This will be great for all the 348/409 builds if it’s true. I’m going to find out tomorrow as soon as they open!8F1B9288-3D82-4E7F-AD2A-DEB38D641CE3.jpeg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I called Speedway this morning they have six small Port 348 / 409 intakes in Lincoln and two in Arizona for a total of 8. And she did mention that they just got them back in stock that it was discontinued. No word on 2 4 or dual quads for the small port intake at this time.

Last edited:

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's a little early before I need one, but with only 8 available and Edelbrock moving their foundry, I figured I better get one of the small port single 4-bbl manifolds now for my 348 build. I placed my order this evening for the Edelbrock 7158.

I see in the new Speedway catalog that I received late last week, that they also are listing several Comp Cams for the W-engines. The 48-600-5 Thumpr Cam (Grind #279TH7) (Speedway # 282-486005) has a Intake duration of 226 and an exhaust duration of 241 at .050" lift. Any comments on this cam? Or is it better to wait for the "950" to come back into stock? (I am not building the engine yet, but will be gathering parts as funds become available.) Don?

They are also listing the Comp Cams 48-601-5 and 48-602-5, but they look a little too radical for my roadster.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's a little early before I need one, but with only 8 available and Edelbrock moving their foundry, I figured I better get one of the small port single 4-bbl manifolds now for my 348 build. I placed my order this evening for the Edelbrock 7158.

I see in the new Speedway catalog that I received late last week, that they also are listing several Comp Cams for the W-engines. The 48-600-5 Thumpr Cam (Grind #279TH7) (Speedway # 282-486005) has a Intake duration of 226 and an exhaust duration of 241 at .050" lift. Any comments on this cam? Or is it better to wait for the "950" to come back into stock? (I am not building the engine yet, but will be gathering parts as funds become available.) Don?

They are also listing the Comp Cams 48-601-5 and 48-602-5, but they look a little too radical for my roadster.
Maybe Paul will chime in. He runs one and does ok with it (beat me in the 1/4mile) when running it. Not sure which one he has though.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Comp's 48-801-11 would be a better choice in your little engine than any of those Thumpers would be.Yes Ricky 61 races[car never sees any street duty],Paul uses one but he's got over 470 cubic inches to tame it down.I keep getting "suggestions"[ads] from my computer to buy one but haven't actually checked availability.

heddrik

Well Known Member
So they've discontinued the only small port Eddy makes? Crap, we were all hoping for more, especially 2 4 manifolds! Eddy is going backwards, they can't keep them in stock and they are discontinuing them? Makes no sense. So glad I bought one from Mark Steele when I could.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So they've discontinued the only small port Eddy makes? Crap, we were all hoping for more, especially 2 4 manifolds! Eddy is going backwards, they can't keep them in stock and they are discontinuing them? Makes no sense. So glad I bought one from Mark Steele when I could.
Its all about the numbers. If they can only make 10% on a dual quad small port but make 40% on an LS engine intake then they follow the money. Its simple Capitalism. Note their 348-409 large port heads went up in price but they didn't go up in quality or performance? In order to keep making parts that don't make the percentage they want (return on investment) they simply up the price for the same product.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a feeling if somebody was to talk to one of the corporate guys at Speedway and they can get a list together of people willing to take some they would re-manufacture them. That is the small 2x4 Edelbrock W motor. I’ll make a phone call to Edelbrock sales and promotions department and see if they will accommodate an order!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a feeling if somebody was to talk to one of the corporate guys at Speedway and they can get a list together of people willing to take some they would re-manufacture them. That is the small 2x4 Edelbrock W motor. I’ll make a phone call to Edelbrock sales and promotions department and see if they will accommodate an order!
I was going to give them a call myself. Finding out how many they need to make a run would be helpful. I know they have large and small runs but it would seem the small port dual quads have been getting neglected for far to long. Also I would question how it is that the 3rd party sales place as large as Speedway is only able to get less than a dozen single small ports themselves. Every now and then it takes an effort from a couple different directions to get a clear answer on why. My guess is if I compiled a list of 10 parts suppliers that get intakes from Edelbrock for the dual quads that they all have less than 10 intakes and most probably have none. It may be that they don't understand the need because our voices aren't being heard in the aftermarket world. We did pick the rarest of rare engines to build/run.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With all the crying about no new intakes...how come Speedway hasn't sold all of these?
If a company doesn't cast the good stuff then it can hold onto the ok stuff. Point being I don't know anyone that wants a single 4 barrel. I know at least 6 others that want the small port dual quad not including me and I'll end up buying more than 2 myself.