speeking of 400 sbc...

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I didn't want to derail fatrides post on 400sbc so I started another one. Can any of the engine builders on the site help me out ? I'm wandering if you guys can give me an approximate horsepower for the following combo......

400 sbc
4.185 bore
3.75 stroke
Lunati cam 242 degrees intake- 252 degree exhaust(duration)
.525 intake- .540 exhaust (lift)
Keith Black hypereutectic pistons #KB147-60
5.7 inch connecting rods I beam, bronze bushed, full floating wrist pin
World products Sportsman II heads
64 cc combustion chamber
2.02 intake valves- 1.60 exhaust valves
200 cc intake runners
fully ported- intake runners-exhaust runners-combustion chambers
full roller rockers 1.5 ratio 3/8 stud
windage tray and crank scraper
ARP main studs-head studs- connecting rod bolts
Edelbrock performer air gap dual plane intake
rocker stud girdle
chrome moly push rods
Lunati matching valve springs
Barry Grant speed demon 750 cfm carb
MSD pro billet distributer
6AL box
Hooker super comp headers
Melling High Volume oil pump

Thanks in advance:bow

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
desktop dyno

could just use a desktop dyno and be real close. You are living on the edge with the KB pistons. Better have a rev limiter on board.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I might be a little conservative but 450. But your going to like it. That will be a great street motor, and will put up good #" at the track. Ive been running the kb hyper pistons in my last 2 400's with great sucsess. Still have a set of 0.100 dome kb' still on 5.7 rods laying around if intrested. took them out to go to 9:1 compression. Good luck and keep us informed how it runs.

cheap1

Supporting Member 1
I might be a little conservative but 450. But your going to like it. That will be a great street motor, and will put up good #" at the track. Ive been running the kb hyper pistons in my last 2 400's with great sucsess. Still have a set of 0.100 dome kb' still on 5.7 rods laying around if intrested. took them out to go to 9:1 compression. Good luck and keep us informed how it runs.

How much would those pistons raise my compression? Right now it's about 10.2:1 And obviously with more compression comes more power. I was wanting a bulletproof motor producing 500 hp and gobs of torque. Am I on the right track?

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
How much would those pistons raise my compression? Right now it's about 10.2:1 And obviously with more compression comes more power. I was wanting a bulletproof motor producing 500 hp and gobs of torque. Am I on the right track?

http://kb-silvolite.com/performance.php?action=details&P_id=214

You are on the right track Looks like with a 64 cc it comes out to a 12.5 comp ratio. But If I remember right KB does there adv. comp at zero deck. When I figured mine with the motor together it was maor like 11.75:1. My pistons were not at zero deck.
Now on the bullet proof part. They are hyper pistons.They are good, but If you want The best piston forged is better. But you can make these work. Ive been doing it for along time. Having the motor balanced is a great idea. I really think it helps the longevity. With the power goal you have you might consider a bigger roller cam to help. Then you wont have to raise the comp so much.