Spider gear swap for better axles?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know Skip.I thought that the spider kit that was used was for a Dana 44,as in early-mid 60's GMC trucks.Being as their all Eaton stuff,maybe their all the same? I've been told that with the cap straps,and one of these kits,and 30 spline axels.these rears are good for 450-500 rwhp,

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I think there is either one too many, or one short on clutches when you do this. I spent my money once on beefing up the factory axle, only to sell it because I did not trust it. 30 spline, Moser axles, girdle on cap........ And it broke at the track. If you are making good power, or run it real hard, get a 9 inch. It looks close to the 8.2 and has every bolt on part imaginable.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think there is either one too many, or one short on clutches when you do this. I spent my money once on beefing up the factory axle, only to sell it because I did not trust it. 30 spline, Moser axles, girdle on cap........ And it broke at the track. If you are making good power, or run it real hard, get a 9 inch. It looks close to the 8.2 and has every bolt on part imaginable.
:yup
Like Brian said... Put a 9" back there and forget about it...

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
New You need the clutches also. But it does not address the small diameter pinion gear and the axle tubes the flex and pull the pinion from the ring gear or the ring gear being forced to the side. Bearing cap on the right is weak…..etc.

Yep that is another concern. Pinion gear only has 17 splines also.I've got a 9" 3.0 pumpkin. Dutchman axles can do a housing axle combo with teh extra 4th link for $1165. This is getting my 600 HP 470/409 so it may stress things:)

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

I purchased the diff above and it broke at Thompson Ohio. The issue was the spider gears by Yukon gear that were junk....
no fault of MHRP

I replaced them with good spider gears from a gentleman in the Midwest that was very aware of the problem. The posi unit was fixed and has been down the track with no issue on stock stroke 409 380 hp motor at a very well prepped pure stock drags in Michigan.

Quik9r

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Yup, it was you Kevin. I could not think of your name. That was the last Yukon anything I have purchased.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yukon now uses chrome molly spider gears. Eaton and Yukon both had the same problem with spider gears and clutch material. Clutches are now carbon fiber type material in both.