Spring Clamps

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
I would like to use original style spring clamps on my heater hoses. Is there anything that I can use to help seal hoses attached to heater core? I don't completely trust clamps themselves.

Gus68

Well Known Member
clamps

Hey. In VERY rare occasions I have had stubborn hoses that would not seal. I used black silicone sealant on the hose and fitting and tightend the clamp down and let it sit until the silicone cured. It works!!!!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JMO,,,,,, If you have a points car and are going for total points,,, use them.

If not use the standard stainless screw type.
I also wanted to use the clamp type for looks only though,,,, they are a pain

Like I said,,, JMO,,, dq

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gus , Your suggestion reminds me of myself. Dont think I could work on a car without a can of WD-40 in one hand and a tube of silicone in the other.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
hose clamps

When I restored my car in the mid 90s, I used the clamps. wanted to be "correct". Some time later I noticed the carpet a little wet on the passenger side. The hose was leaking, and shooting the antifreeze into the car. Got to thinking about that, and decided maybe "correct" wasn't the way to go. Would hate to lose a motor because of using a clamp, when the newer screw clamps would eliminate the problem for sure. The factory changed the style clamps for a reason. The screw clamps are much better, and safer.

As DQ said. Just my opinion.

Fred

Gus68

Well Known Member
clamps

Hey Ronnie!!! Your damn right!!!! Anyways, I agree with the others, I would use the newer style screw clamps. Besides, Those spring clamps are a pain in the arse to work with unless you have the right tool. If you squese them with a standard plires they just twist and go "fling". You need to use a plires and grind slots in the tips to help hold it straight. By the way if you are set on using those clamps, I saw that the local Runnings farm and fleet store (simmilar to a tractor supply store or any other farm hardware store) has those clamps in there hardware sections in those neet little plastic bins and they are fairly cheap!

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
That is exactly what happened to me. The passenger side rug got wet and I thought it was the heater core because it wasn't leaking under the hose on the other side of the firewall. After taking the heater box out and having the core checked I realized it was the lower hose leaking into the car. Thanks for the info. Paul