Springs. Front and back.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Looking to replace all four springs on my 62 Impala. I’ve heard that station wagon springs in the front are the way to go to lift the front end a bit? As for the rear? I like the rear lift a little also. Any information is greatly appreciated

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I wouldn't think the fronts would be different. Spacer on the upper coil pocket would lift it and keep the same ride quality. JMO

bobs409

Administrator
After putting in new stock springs on my 63, I wouldn't even consider anything taller!!! These barely went in as it was. I think the a-arms are practically on the snubbers now with the engine in.

62BillT

Well Known Member
We use to put 409 Wagon Springs in the Rear for some extra lift. Fronts we would use Springs for a Big Block and Air car. These were the days when you could still buy GM Springs at the dealer. We would pretty much guess at what we wanted and the counter guy would tell us the Spring Tension listings in the book.

Woody62

Well Known Member
Why? Because it’s softer? Transfers weight to the rear quickly? Your information is appreciated. Do tell

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
For a drag race car if you can run a lower spring rate on the front you will have more stored energy to release on the launch there for more transfer of weight to the rear. :cool:
Or at least that's the way I see it.:think

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The "sick" cylinder engine that was in those cars was likely just as heavy as the 409 was. 90/10's won't raise the nose of the car when it's just sitting Bob.

Woody62

Well Known Member
The car I have is more of a survivor car. Original paint glass etc. was trying to make it more of a drivable street car instead of a drag car. ( coming soon) . I like the higher look of that era. Was thinking of going with qa1 single adjustable shocks with the heavy duty springs to get said look? Is that setup something that would work? Or is the shock package a little overkill? Thanks you all for your information

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I knew you were talking a street car. :D
I would think a coil over would be a good option.
Look at the lower control arm and think now that with the coil over that the weight of the car is now supported by the point that the lower shock mounts.:rub
I did a conversion on a ford and we beefed up the mounting point where the shock mounted.:good

Woody62

Well Known Member
I’m new. I’m a little confused. Are u talking about just going to that package with the OEM upper and lower control arms? Built a Camaro once with DSE package$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I’m married now. On a little bit of a budget. Trying to keep old school as possible with a good stance. Decent ride and not get the wife too mad at me

62BillT

Well Known Member
Moog seems to be a good choice since the GM Springs are no longer available like they were. I believe they also have charts for Spring Tension Ratings. I'm not familiar with "qa1" shocks, but if you don't have enough lift in the back with the Springs, there are a few other options to get even a little more height.

By the way, I'm from the old school, lol, and like them raised up some too. Maybe not quite as high as we used to run them, but yet some nice height.

Not only do I like the looks of them raised, but also the cars a have a better chance of not scraping bottom that way. I never understood some of those "low riders" out there.

Last edited:

Woody62

Well Known Member
Currently this is the sake of the car. The rear wheels are 16/10 magnesium torque thrusts. A little too wide. Going to a 15 by 8 inch

62BillT

Well Known Member
My old '62 was about 2 or 3 Inches lower in the back in comparison and probably about an Inch lower in the front. At the time I was running H-70-14's in the back. Pretty much ideal for what I preferred. F-70-14 or something similar on the fronts. All on 14 X 6 Chrome Reverse Wheels. I put new 409 Wagon springs in the Rear, but it didn't quite raise it high enough (probably would had been prefect for today, lol). I needed a little more height at the time and went with Air Lift air bags. Never could afford front springs for this car at the time and had about 3 or 4 twist in Knuckles in each spring.