Stainless Steel Rocker Molding Installation

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
I just purchase and received a set of stainless steel rocker molding for my 1960 Chevy Impala. They came with a bag of parts with very little instructions for installations. Has anyone installed a set of these? Are there any tricks to install?

Attachments

• 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 37

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I don't know the specifics of the 1960 body, did you car come with rocker moldings?

You might want to visit the Assembly manual GM made for that year build, it likely will have pictures that will give you some insight.

Good luck!
TomK

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I love that car.:love I had a friend, that had a RED, with white top 60. Worn out 283, Auto. When he went in service, he asked me to, try and sell it for him. Never got a chance.:doh The city tagged it, and away it went.:cryIf I had a garage, back then, I would still have that car.:appl

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I looked for the instructions in the house, no go! I have to go through paperwork in the shop later. I did have the NOS box but don't know if I still have that. Instructions could be in box?

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
Thanks for looking, I think I have it figured out. I have attached the instruction sheet that came with and a picture of the clips. I think the metal clip with the nut would go near the back wheel where you can drill through and fasten, The sheet metal screw would go near the front wheel in the hole provided in the molding. The four plastic clips would evenly spaced between the front and back. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• DSCN5377.JPG
    DSCN5377.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN5378.JPG
    DSCN5378.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 37

Junky

Well Known Member
The original clips were wire, and had a hard piece of cardboard that was placed between the clips and the molding, so you didn't damage the molding when pushing it into place. In the middle the wire it was fashioned with a spring action point that would grip in the hole drilled into the rocker. I am not impressed with the replacement plastic clips, and instead of using them, I would use only the rear one, and in the center, I would us large strips of 3M double sided tape, the kind that they use to hold moldings and metal emblems on newer cars. Even if you have to double or triple up the tape to accommodate the gap, it will be better than drilling holes in the rockers. My main concern is that the points on the new plastic clips will come loose, and you will have to find another attachment method later on. Also, the holes in the rocker can also lead to rust problems later one, and you have to make sure that they are all aligned exactly.

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
Update on the rocker molding installation. I decided it was a little bit above my talent level so I took it to restoration shop that originally did my car. He agreed that the clips supplied were junk. He decided to drill holes in the moldings and mount them with stainless steel screws and inserts. He spaced 4 screws our about 16" so the look like they should be there. Now there will be no chance of launching a spear while heading down the highway. I will post some more pictures next time I take it out of the garage,DSCN5647.JPGDSCN5650.JPG

Junky

Well Known Member
Sharp looking car.. In 1960, I was driving my fathers 1960 Impala 348 / turboglide convertible, rather than drive my 1955 BelAir convertible that I had "restored". It was more of a cosmetic restoration on a 100,000 mile car that needed paint badly. It was Gypsy Rose & Ivory(?), and a grey gut. I painted it 2 tone grey. I had all NOS moldings on the car, as well as a continental kit in the box, waiting to get installed. Sure wish that I had either or both of those cars today. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I just purchase and received a set of stainless steel rocker molding for my 1960 Chevy Impala. They came with a bag of parts with very little instructions for installations. Has anyone installed a set of these? Are there any tricks to install?
How did your like these moldings?