Stamp Pad anomaly

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
When I got the block I knew there was nothing on the stamp pad to tell what the block was. Knew it was a truck 5011 double notch that was it. ThoughT someone at some point machined the pad.
Fast forward to the other day I got it back and what should have been on the stamp pad was under the gasket for the fuel pump. See picture. This was a truck block used as a combine type of machinery as there was lots of green in places. It had never been touched which makes sense because Armstrongs said it was in excellent condition.

Attachments

• 723A238B-0E91-4ED1-9F08-A674214C61AC.jpeg
    723A238B-0E91-4ED1-9F08-A674214C61AC.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 84

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have pictures of 348-409's in all kinds of machines. Generators, pumps, combines, boats to name a few. Anything that needed a gas engine to run back in the day could end up with these motors in them really.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It might have been a replacement block,those wouldn't have had anything stamped on the '' pad''.As to the pump boss :dunno2

Reactions: Tim

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
I have a 656 block with no stampings anywhere except on the starter pad, which has "T036" stamped into it. No idea of its original application - service or industrial - as I purchased as a bare, hot tanked block.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I know in mid 1969 they started stamping the vin # in the rough casting just above the starter on a BBC as alternator covered up the pad in front of the passenger side cylinder head. I think the assembly date and engine code were still stamped on the passenger side pad.

Last edited:

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Maybe bob can add some of this info to the stamp pad info list so others may know where to look.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Could it be someone in the past had the block decked and transferred what was on the head pad to the fuel pump pad?
In my Case Geary no, the block had never been touched or decked. It even had 555 heads which are not listed anywhere. It was an industrial use truck block engine so it was odd to start with.