STARTER REPLACEMENT

HOWLERONE

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A STARTER FOR MY 409 425HP 4 SPEED? CONSIDERING GOING WITH A MINI IF POSSIBLE. THANKS

chuckl

Well Known Member
ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A STARTER FOR MY 409 425HP 4 SPEED? CONSIDERING GOING WITH A MINI IF POSSIBLE. THANKS
I have heated-up 348 tri-power with 10.5 CR, 4-speed Muncie and Centerforce clutch. I am using an original 56 bell housing and 168 toother. I was having a bit of slow-starting problem/dragging even with a new 56 starter. I had the starter rewound for high torque and medium speed. In addition, with recommendations from the electric guru, I installed a separate HD relay to handle any heating of wires or overloads. This starter setup works very well with no hesitation, usually starting before the key can be released. Pleased with the results. You may or may not want to run the relay. :)

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use the napa starter part #4n-5110. Get the bolts from GM # 1233-8064. Works great and plenty of room.

Scott
Orielly's also has the starter and bolts.... I just put one on my '70 C20 this week.. I asked for one for a 96 Blazer with a 4.3... As long as you have the 168 tooth flywheel and a block with staggered bolt holes you should be good to go...:deal
Rick

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The part number that Scott posted is what me, Denny Ford, Bo Martin, Dave Mills and many others use it's for a 8.1 2001 silverado

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is a mini starter that Ronnie Russell liked and i bought 3 of them off ebay,it only cost something like $45.00,i have used 2 of them and they work good so far.I will post the part number later after i go to the garage and look.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
https://www.dbelectrical.com/search-results/?search_query_adv=409+chevy+starte
That's the starter that i have been using and am very satisfied with it.
After paying $300 for a mini gear reduction starter good for 18:1 compression, and probably my own fault, it being screwed up, I purchased one from DB that was basically the same for the $45 dollars. It probably is the same one, for 168 tooth, staggered bolt pattern, up to 18:1 compression. I found them through post on this board, and I thank the people that posted it.