Starter selection

Roger Hardy

Hi folks
Finishing up on a transmission conversion and could use information on what type of starter I might need.
I have a 1960 Impala with 348, 3x2 and I've replaced the power glide with a 200-4r. The original starter was install by way of bell housing with a 168 tooth flex plate. Now I need to hang the starter directly to the block with a smaller 153 tooth flex plate.

Has someone made the same type of conversion? If so, would you have a starter that you would recommend.

Thanks
Roger.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your 348 has provisions for a block mounted starter but there is no direct fit starter for the small flywheel.The block can have to be drilled[one hole] to be able to use the starter for the small flexplate.If it were mine,I'd simply put the big flexplate on the engine since the trans will work with either one.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've also seen (was there a thread??) that some of the dual-pattern aftermarket starters can be drilled or slotted to line up with the 409 inline holes?? As opposed to drilling a new hole in the block...not sure where I saw that.

The flex plate would be the best fix, along with a stagger-mount starter, but I'd bet Roger doesn't want to pull the tranny again.

Roger Hardy

Thanks for the responses guys.
I can't use the original flex plate for a couple of reasons. One, there is no clearance between the flex plate and the transmission bell housing....it actually rubs. Secondly, the bolt patterns on the torque converter and the original flex plate, don't line-up.

The starter is something I never thought of when I decided to make this conversion.....kind of wish I did now......

Can you talk to me some more about these aftermarket starters? Who makes them.........where they can be bought.

Thanks
Roger.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
When I said a 168 tooth flywheel I didn't mean the stock one.An aftermarket flexplate for a later model small block or big block[pre 86,neutral balanced] can be had for far less than 100.00,and the starters can be had for about 60.Why in this case would someone spend all this money when this issue can be resolved much cheaper.

Last edited: