Starting new engine this week lifter question

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This engine is going to be a stock stroke,.030 oversize 409,not a 474 stroker motor.With his heads,headers,the eddie intake,the 0950 cam,and a carb in the 600-650 cfm range,it'll put out right about 1 horse per inch,and have really good bottom-mid range torque.A nice sane street engine.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well things are slowly coming back from the machine shop, got the Cam and stuff Don had me order in today, I will say this, I am dam glad I never got that motor fired up. (it wasn't from a lack of trying)

Here is the final summary from the machine shop:

4 Pistons were put together wrong, meaning they had the wrong rod and caps on the wrong pistons.
The number 8 cylinder down near the skirt area was all chunked out and had large pieces of block that should have been cleaned up.

They found the large pieces of metal debris inside the crankshaft journals, this took out the bearings for sure.

The new springs for the valves we ordered with 0950 cam were way shorter than the springs on the motor after their rebuild, it appears from myself and the machinist and Bruce from show cars could figure out was 454 BB springs was used, so when we tried to get the valves to open , and keep in mind this just had all new valves installed during their rebuild, the spring would bind and not allow the valve to fully open or close, as it was, so the new springs, keepers and Cam will fix that issue.

So we now have verified and good parts to get it back together and with a little help, this thing is going to go together very well and properly, You guys have been a big help in a lot of areas, I have been absorbing W engine stuff for a while now, and they are certainly a different breed from a small block, but given common sense, skill (I'll borrow some of that) and good technical help this will go together just fine and run.

It will not be a track car setting records, but it will have good street cred.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No Tom, no sleeves, it was at the lower skirt area, but it is what tore the piston up for sure, he cleaned it all up, we replaced the piston, keep in mind it never fired up, and i guess the chunks that took out the crank/bearings seized up did not allow it to do more damage, it was just a crap load of mistakes. Who knows what would have happened if it did fire up, the top end, valves and pistons would have for sure done rod damage, top of the piston would have smashed the valves, etc, so as dumb as it sounds.......... I am glad it seized up.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This engine is going to be a stock stroke,.030 oversize 409,not a 474 stroker motor.With his heads,headers,the eddie intake,the 0950 cam,and a carb in the 600-650 cfm range,it'll put out right about 1 horse per inch,and have really good bottom-mid range torque.A nice sane street engine.

Don, you have been great help in laying this motor out, thank you.

So we did figure out it had 454 BB springs, but 409 valves? is that something that is done to increase something? Well it did not work very well, lol the springs were binding before the valve could get open all the way??? head scratcher there?

We set all the new 409 springs @ 1.68, Molly rings and Gasket set and Bearings should be here Monday from Kansas City

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
yep the new springs we reinstalled were at 1.86, so we are close on the correct springs sent from Show Cars,I believe.
My machine shop spoke to Bruce on that setting and that was his recommendation, so that is where the machine shop set it at, is that good you think?