Starting new engine this week lifter question

427John

Well Known Member
Iowa, based on your stated intentions I would choose the piston that gives you the option to use the BBC style rod,you may not need it right away but its there if you decide to upgrade.And if you go the long rod route there are benefits there as well.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Have the machine shop give you the bore dimension...make sure they check all 8...and order pistons from Ross, providing them that info. Get the ring grooves cut for a modern ring pack (1.0mm/1.0mm/2.0mm, for example). If the rods haven't had the pin ends bushed, now would be the time to do that. Provide that info to Ross, also. You'll also need to specify the compression height and a few other things.

If the bores are all over the place, the block will need to be honed anyway. Then, you can order pistons based of that bore size.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Have your machine shop guy check the valves in those 817 heads while you're at it. If they're new one piece stainless that's a plus. If they are "reconditioned" originals that's a minus. He can size them as well to determine which valves were installed in the rebuild.

I suspect you could easily get 400 or more horses out of those heads, but that might require some mods and that can add up in terms of machine shop hours. Your cam will dictate your spring choice, but you know that.

Are we good at spending your $$$ or what? Good thing you get to make the final call :).

Even if you shoot for 350-400 horses you'll have an awesome engine that looks unique and performs even better!

TomK

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, I do not know the sizes yet, but I do know they are brand new stainless valves, for sure, not sure if one piece or two piece because they are not here to look at but as I recall they were one piece.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If the Icon pistons are .038 and you are at .030, that would mean one would have to remove .004 out of the cylinder wall. :read
Now I am not a machinist ( you should talk to yours ) but I thing .004 can be honed out with the proper machine and operator.
It just seems to me that if now you have the opportunity to start with a fresh bore and new pistons rather than new pistons and a used bore, now would be the time.
It would also be the best time to have the deck height check and adjusted as Don mention, then you make it so you can use out of the box head gaskets.
I have been puttin together used parts for 4 years now, only because that option never came within my grasp.

Sorry just thinking out loud again. :hide

427John

Well Known Member
For the additional .008 it will probably be done with power honing ,most machinist I've talked to have stated that it is hard to get a setup accurate enough to allow a .010 overbore much less anything smaller.I had a block once that I wanted to take from .030 to .040 and they power honed the .010.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, I do not know the sizes yet, but I do know they are brand new stainless valves, for sure, not sure if one piece or two piece because they are not here to look at but as I recall they were one piece.
If they're stainless,they're one piece. As fresh as those bores are[never ran],I'd just rehone for the type of ring being used and leave it alone.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If the Icon pistons are .038 and you are at .030, that would mean one would have to remove .004 out of the cylinder wall. :read
Now I am not a machinist ( you should talk to yours ) but I thing .004 can be honed out with the proper machine and operator.
It just seems to me that if now you have the opportunity to start with a fresh bore and new pistons rather than new pistons and a used bore, now would be the time.
It would also be the best time to have the deck height check and adjusted as Don mention, then you make it so you can use out of the box head gaskets.
I have been puttin together used parts for 4 years now, only because that option never came within my grasp.

Sorry just thinking out loud again. :hide

Exactly. And the Icons are the best bang for the $$ if they have the config you want/need.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hello guys,

So I need to start buying some parts, any recommendations is appreciated.

I need .20 Crank/.20 Rod bearings, I want Clevites, but they no longer make a .20, just a .10, unless I can find old stock out there somewhere?

I also need a gasket kit, they seem to be all over the place in price, does anyone have a single source I can get everything from?

I also need some .30 molly ring kit.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
What Tenxal was referring to was the width of the rings themselves.Since your engine has cast pistons,they will have the wider of the two more common ring widths.Factory pistons,both cast and forged,used a 3/16,3/16,5/16 ring package.All cast pistons for these engines used this width ring.Most forged pistons produced lately use a 1/16,1/116,3/16 ring pack.

heddrik

Well Known Member
Mr Iowa, .30 is 300 thousandths, over a quarter of an inch. Your engine is .030, 30 thousandths oversize. A decimal point can be very important. We know what you mean, but to some people it may confuse them. Best of luck on your parts acquisitions. I will follow your build to see all a 474 is made up of.